This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Starting Out
Find a band member website

I had an idea of a website where people can upoload videos of themselves playing an instrument and introduce themslves etc and if a band needed a drummer for example they could go to this site and search for drummers, find out about them and ask them to join their band. I have found sites like this but they are in the format of a message board with no video capability etc, so I thought this may be a little different to what is already out there.
Starting Out
hmm just found getmeaband.com, looks rather good.
Connector
well, i just did a search on there and no registered folk in UK so maybe there is still a gap in the market to fill
Maven
i had an idea similar to this a few years ago, but never followed it through. I think it has some potential, especially if you introduce video and sound.

Rob

Modika Accessible Web Design
Starting Out
I'm onto it, any web designers on here that would be able to help out for a reasonable price, or at least talk this over, it would be much appreciated.
Connector
This one is in the making...

http://www.bandmemberonline.com/
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by chris_dillon10
I'm onto it, any web designers on here that would be able to help out for a reasonable price, or at least talk this over, it would be much appreciated.
Hi Chris,

Drop me a mail: david <at> integreatmedia <dot> com with some details of what you are hoping to achieve and ideas you have so far, and I'll be happy to discuss.

David
Maven
Hi Chris,

drop me an email aswell of what you want to achieve and maybe we can discuss what we can do. rob [at] modika.co.uk

Thanks,

Rob

Modika Accessible Web Design
Starting Out
I don't know if there's much point in pursuing it seeing as www.bandmemberonline.com is in the process of being made - or is this the wrong attitude to adopt? I'm only a 19 year old student and don't know if's worth my while taking the time and money needed when there is already something on its way :S Any suggestions please?
Maven
I think it's a pretty decent idea.

More and more people are using broadband to access the internet so the video aspect will no-doubt prove popular in assessing whether people would fit into groups/bands.

If you take into account the popularity of Pop Idol etc there seems to be a glut of people wanting get into the music business (for whatever reason), if you can provide a means for people to try to do this it should be popular.

I'd wait to see what the other site launches and see what the uptake is. If it's popular I'm sure the market will be big enough for more than one site especially if you differentiate yourself enough.

Nick
Starting Out
Thanks for all your suggestions and help, I really appreciate it. I'm a total novice/beginner so to have people that can offer advice is great. I'll see what happens with this other site I think and then take it from there as they say...
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by chris_dillon10
I don't know if there's much point in pursuing it seeing as www.bandmemberonline.com is in the process of being made - or is this the wrong attitude to adopt?
It's the wrong attitude to adopt.

1. It would be more worrying if there were no similar sites out there: because then you'd have to wonder why not.

2. You shouldn't be scared of competition.

Quote:
I'll see what happens with this other site I think and then take it from there as they say...
... if you wait too long then it might be too late to start / compete.
Connector
I'm starting something pretty similar right now...

if you like, you can email me and we can have a talk.

Cheers.
All I would suggest is be very strict on the content. This is a very dangerous business to get into at the moment. Unless you are able to recognise any copyright infringing content you are facing a lot of risk. Not only are groups like RIAA and the four majors coming down hard on projects like this but now the group Merlin has been formed so expect plenty of group legal action from the indie labels in the coming year.

I believe someone has developed some software for sites like youtube and myspace to automatically recognise copyrighted material but your case would be a little harder to work on because the risk is not people just streaming film clips but people filming themselves performing cover versions of copyrighted material, equally as illegal but harder for you to detect and therefore more likely you'll be sued.

It is a good idea but just be careful.
Should also add legal action aside it is highly likely that you'll be required to pay royalties etc at some point during the process (or will get false claims for royalties from people) so make sure you get fully schooled up on this aspect before launching.