This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Connector
BT, any alternatives?

Hiya

I am moving into a new office next week and have called BT to connect the existing line already in there. They have told me that because I don't know the telephone number that was previously used there, I will have to pay £100+ connection charge. Pus it will cost me £50 to move my 0845 number, then the standard line rental every quarter. I am gutted!

Does anyone know of a different telephone line supplier who will sort this or is BT the only company? Residential phone lines are so easy, everyone is fighting for your business!!

I don't want anything fancy, just telephone line and broadband.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!!!!

Helen
Tried Telewest?

Thing is most companies will require you to have a bt socket in place already (and that is what is going to cost you the £150 to have installed) only one I know that installs sockets themselves are telewest.

Hope that helps

Connector
BT should know the old telephone number, its a bit silly if they don't.

Failing that put the address of the new office in google, chafes are if it was listed in yellowpages or somewhere like that, the address should bring up the old telephone number.

I do not think there are any shortcut's with a phone provider, I know people use others, but at the end of the day, BT is the landline company in the UK that manages most of the lines and deal with thing's quickly.

I have known people use other providers but they take longer (days longer) to sort problems out as they are usally middlemen companies using something like BT wholesale, and spend time ping ponging between themselves to fix a problem, with BT its sorted straight away.

If you want the best and most problem free service i would use BT, talk with them again you might get a different more helpful sales person who might waive any connection fee, ask them to and you might be surprised.

Tell them your not going to use them unless its free to get set-up, thats what i usually do and it work's, its cheekcy but then money is better in your pocket than theres.
Connector
When a line is disconnected, does 150 still work?

Also, BT should know the number; the flat I moved into had a socket that was disconnected. BT offered a choice of being reconnected with the previous number, or a new number.
Connector
Carephone Wearhouse's TalkTalk?

They offer free broadband with the business package too. Plus free landline calls Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm.
www.bluetekservices.com
Web and Corporate Design | IT Systems

My status
Connector
Thank you all,

I'm going to have a look at Telewest and Carphone Warehouse now.

Helen
Connector
Have you thought about using a voip solution?
I'm using vonage at the moment and it's cheap and very reliable!
www.vonage.co.uk
Connector
Hi Helen,

Im surprised they are charging you for a reconnection even though you don't know the number, im sure there is a special number you can type in to find out the previous number, even still..just say i don't want to pay 150 when there is a line there, I think your be surprised after a bit of haggling!!

Brett
Adventures in Creative Design
Connector
Hi again,

Thanks for the link about vonage Rachael, I've never seen this before!

I have called BT and told them I think it's unfair that i'm being charged, I said that it's unfair on us small businesses that we are being charged so much when all we are trying to do is start a business. They offered me a £40 per quarter line rental with free caller divert, caller display, call waiting, etc. They have waivered the connection fee! Yay!!!

Thanks everyone, where would we be without this forum?
Guru
Quote:
Originally posted by marginex
Im surprised they are charging you for a reconnection even though you don't know the number...
It's BT Brett

Alex

Call 01206 384672
If memory serves me correctly, it depends if it is a stopped line or a ceased line.

If it is a stopped line then that just means the service has been switched off, leaving all the cabling from the socket to the exchange still intact.

If it is a ceased line then that means that somewhere from the socket up to the exchange something has been physically removed. Sometimes when someone wishes to terminate their BT service, BT will cease a line if they need that part of the exchange for someone else. Downside is when a new tenant moves in they will "normally" be required to pay to have a new line re-installed - sometimes reffered to as an "Apps in Situ" I believe.

As to why BT could not find any previous service at the address, I do not know, as they are able to bring up every single person/business/tel number associated with that address. You must have had a new BT advisor or something that wasn't quite sure what they were doing.
Quote:
Originally posted by FrontlineCombat1
As to why BT could not find any previous service at the address, I do not know, as they are able to bring up every single person/business/tel number associated with that address. You must have had a new BT advisor or something that wasn't quite sure what they were doing.
It could be also that a BT line has never been there (might have been telewest) then they will treat it as a new installation also.

Quote:
Originally posted by Widgey
It could be also that a BT line has never been there (might have been telewest) then they will treat it as a new installation also.
Very true.