This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Connector
Active Apache services for Server?

I am gradually learning about Apache and Fedora.

I now understand how to start, restart and stop services, however my confusion now is; how do I check what services are currently running?

And what ones do I need to start for a webserver?
httpd etc...

Finally, in light of my limited knowledge on this matter; does anyone have a book recommendation?

Thanks in advance.
Starting Out
You can view a list of currently running processes by typing

ps aux

from the command prompt.

In Fedora the scripts for services are to be found in /etc/rc.d/init.d

You can call start / stop / restart on most of these.

If you run them with no arguments then it will tell you what switches are valid.
Connector
$ top

will give you some interesting info.

You probably just need Apache running for your webserver... if you're using MySQL then you'll need that process running too. Depending on your setup you might need an FTP server running as well (although you can "fake" it via SFTP).

The O'Reilly Apache: The Definitive Guide is pretty good, although it might be a bit dated now since 2.x became the standard version (not sure if they updated the book?).

It might also be worthwhile getting a general purpose "Guide to Linux" type of book to make you more comfortable with shell commands and so on.
Connector
Thank you both
That is very useful to know.

It is the first time I have been on a dedicated server; and was expecting to just be able to enter straight into the DirectAdmin GUI; however, it has been a bit more difficult than that
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by Sunee
It is the first time I have been on a dedicated server; and was expecting to just be able to enter straight into the DirectAdmin GUI
If you're not comfortable doing some of the system admin yourself then talk to your host about a GUI - particularly if it's for a business/critical purpose.

There's no need to struggle through yourself unless you're really keen on learning it (although it's useful knowledge to have, even at a self-taught level).
Connector
I requested DirectAdmin during the order process.

Initially, I had to log into the servers firewall and enable www access, after doing this, I still could not get a webpage, however I have since learnt from support that I needed to start the httpd service as well.

Now it is just a case of trying to get into DirectAdmin, using port 2222, where it should load up, but so far with no luck.

We are a non-profit, but once we receive enough donations/grants we will pay for a higher server support package, which includes telephone assistance.
Connector
If you're looking for server management, I thoroughly recommend managemybox.com. I've used them before and Nick there is a great guy. It's $39 (even though they're UK based :S) a month for server management, and they'll do all the security updates etc. required.

http://managemybox.com/management.php
Connector
Thanks Richard

That is £10 cheaper than my hosts higher support package.