This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Starting Out
Myvlogbiz progress

So, I thought I would document some of what I've been doing to get business to my website. It's not easy, so if anyone has any tips or if anyone learns something here, thats the purpose of this thread.

My website offers a free service where you can post a vlog and watch other peoples vlogs.

Advertisers can link to your vlog and then you make money from the advertising.

To do this, I need to facilitate a sign-up so I can keep track of everyone and everyone gets paid.

My problem is, a lot of people complain they have to sign up.

People seem to have no problem signing up for social websites, forum message boards, auction sites. My site involves disbursing money so of course, I require a sign-up. Any suggestions or give any reasons why you would still not sign up to a free service would be helpful.

I have managed to get about 40 members in only the first week with over 20 being contributing vloggers. And I've already got 2 advertisers who have linked to the vloggers(about to get a third) so people are already poised to make money. But I get a lot of people who say they left once they realised they had to sign up.

Perhaps it's their loss which they'll regret when word spreads that you can make money from posting your vlogs.

Anyway, I'm not listing the website name since I don't want the mod to say I'm spamming, but if you want to check out the site, its the same as my user name. Just add the www and the dot com to it.

I have not sent out any press releases yet. I wanted to wait a few more weeks till the site grows, gets more vloggers and a few more advertisers.

All the exposure so far has been through friends, family and Myspace. Quite a few people especially from the film forums have signed up, but also a few people I have no clue where they came from.

If I can make this website a success, I plan on financing a feature film(I'm really a struggling writer, director). Anyway, let me know what your opinions are here. Thanks.
Connector
Hi there,

I guess 'vlog' is short for 'video log' - maybe this could be clearer on the site - as you don't want your site to straight away be excluding visitors by them not knowing the jargon and feeling left out or out of their depth.

I quite like the idea though, and I've not seen anything exactly like this elsewhere on the net - apart from things like YouTube etc. but their kinda from a different angle.

I'm not a great fan of Flash animation, so not overly keen on the header on the site. A cleaner simple header with more definitive and memorable logo would be better - you could explain here with a catchphrase what a 'vlog' is perhaps?

Also, I appreciate people have to sign up, but also hate javascript pop-up dialogs - so would personally prefer if you click on one of the 'vlogs' and you're not signed it, for it to take you straight to the register page rather than the annoying pop-up first

Anyway - just some of my thoughts - best of luck in your business
Starting Out
Thanks Dsandy.

Vlog is the portmanteau of video and blog.

But you were close enough to get it. Vlogging is just catching on and I'm trying to give people a method of monetizing it.

The pop up may be what makes people annoyed. Good observation. I will look into changing that.

I personally like the flash and you've been the first to complain. I'll need to get some more feedback on it.

If you sign up, let me know what you think of the site. You don't have to post a vlog right away. You can sign up just to watch other people's vlogs to start or to customize your personal "Vlog Page" before you post your vlog.

Thanks.
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by myvlogbiz
I personally like the flash and you've been the first to complain. I'll need to get some more feedback on it.
Ok, I suppose its not that I hate the Flash itself so much - but your site lacks identity.

If I visit your site ok I might remember the 'vlog' idea - but have nothing visual to remind myself of your site - no catchy logo or catchphrase. You need this identity for the idea to catch on and be memorable to visitors - with over 100 million websites out there now you need identity.

Hope you find my comments helpful and not critical.
Connector
do people need to sign up to view vlogs? Perhaps you could allow people to view content without signing up but make them sign up to add content. Since they will only make any money when they add content, it will satisfy your need to know where to send the money.

Meditation and Sound Therapy
Starting Out
Thanks guys.

No, I did not create Ebay. I suppose I should say thanks for the compliment but trust me, this site would be flying if I had created Ebay.

As for the sign-up, there's another issue.

All of the advertising is 100% targeted. When you sign-up, YOU decide which advertisements you want to see.

Don't care for jewelry, then you'll never see a jewelry ad.

Love comic books, then you'll see ads for comic books.

And for the advertisers, the selling point is there are never any wasted clicks for them. If they are selling comic books, their website ad is only shown to people who expressed an interest in comic books.

I could make the vlogs accessible without signup, but then advertisers and viewers lose out.

The reason most of us don't like commercials is because we see more stuff we don't care for than stuff we do.

I love comic books. I know if I see an ad for a comic book website, I'm gonna browse the site.

Anyway, I could make the vlogs "public" but then I lose that selling point. I will probably make that selling point a big deal when I do the press release. Then, if I can't make it fly, I'll change that aspect of the site.

Since the site is free, I hope when the word spreads, sign-up will be accepted(like with Ebay or Myspace).
Entrepreneur
I think that "selling point" is the problem, if I just wanted to view the vlogs then theres no way I'd sign up, I'd just go somewhere else (ok, if there was something I really wanted to see then I might consider it).

Its perfectly acceptable for contributers to have to register for something, but not for people that are just browsing. I get enough spam as it is without having to sign up to everything that I just want to look at.

If you want to keep the sign up stuff then by all means thats up to you, but you will lose people that simply don't want to sign up, its as simple as that!
Connector
Theres no way I would sign up to watch a video, especially as you dont have many on there at the moment.

Your selling advertising but driving the public away.

Also, had to upgrade flash player...... no way I would bother to do that normally.

Can you not change your model, charge / pay based on number of views, which you can track without sign up??
Starting Out
Charge for number of views? I assume you mean charge the advertiser.

I don't see anyone paying to watch vlogs when I cannot even give it away for free.
Starting Out
Wow, thanks. Finally, I'm first at something.

I'm thinking of changing the setup though so you don't have to sign in to watch videos. You can watch without sign-up.

Unless, people start signing up. I mean, its free to sign up, there's very little info requested(your name and what products you like) so I can target the ads.

Anyway, if some of you guys could sign on just to let me know what other feedback you have. Its free. Its not like its hurting you guys.

Imagine Myspace if no one signed on for the free service?
Connector
I think the sign-up issue is going to break this business model. It's a great idea but you are putting up unnecessary barriers IMHO.

You mentioned that the purpose of the sign-up is to give targeted advertising. Fair enough but why not allow people to browse the vLogs without registering and then just show all advertisers?

Push the fact if they do sign-up they can have targeted adds, upload content etc.

As mentioned above, I would simply go elsewhere if I had to pre-register just to view the vlogs.

Great idea in principle though
Starting Out
Thanks openmind.

I've already submitted a revision to make the vlogs accessible to non-members, with the targeted advertising to be delivered to members.

I'm not a web designer so I'm at the mercy of this guys schedule(and my own finances. Looks like another piece of furniture is going up on ebay, LOL.)

Hopefully within the next month the site can be revised.