This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Enabling users to set up e-mail from my domain

I have lingered for some time and now I have a question that I cant get an answer to and wondered if anyone on livewire knew the answer.

I am wanting to enable visitors to my site the ability to set up / sign up for an e-mail address from my domain name. For example, if my domain name is www.kingoffools.com anyone could set up a name@kingoffools.com

Can ANYONE give me some advice on this at all? Or is there any software out there that will do this? If anyone could give help it would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Connector
If you would like to install a webmail client on your domain, look at the list of scripts here:
http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Script...ail/index.html

Another option, is Google Apps for your domain:
https://www.google.com/a/
Connector
Unless you know what you are doing - DON'T do it.

All too often spammers and scammers will use the free email to send out their trash and this can do more harm than good as your domain/website becomes the originator of such trash...
Connector
Here's my advice

1) It is against the TOS of most hosts
2) You need to be very techy to prevent spam
3) Most hosts cannot support the extra load due to overselling on the basis that if they give you 1000 email accounts you will only ever use 10.

Rgds,
Chris

THE MOST POWERFUL SEO SOFTWARE... EVER!
Connector
Try Gossamer Mail, it's not super "cheap" at $650 but the exchange rate is in your favour. (£360'ish)

It would be wise to run this on a dedicated server instead of shared hosting space but it's very simple to implement (won't break no TOS) and quite powerful to boot with extra plugins available for the likes of advertising.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scri...mail/index.htm

Feel free to contact me should you require extra advice.

Regards,

Martin
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by seiretto
Unless you know what you are doing - DON'T do it.

All too often spammers and scammers will use the free email to send out their trash and this can do more harm than good as your domain/website becomes the originator of such trash...
Quite agree. As Martin pointed out as well, a dedicated box and a real knowledge of what you are doing is essential.

For example do you know what a SPF record is? PTR records? There is more to it than just offering people email addresses...