This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Maven
Auction Site

I know there was a question on auction sites recently but do any of you think that there is room for another if the site were to provide the escrow service if required so there wouldn't be the payment/delivery concerns and dodgy 3rd parties wouldnt need to be used. The site in question would be www.placebid.co.uk . As to the problem with encouraging buyers and sellers, how about no listing fees for the first 2/3 months?
What do you think?
Maven
Didn't I see this one for sale on Ebay this week?
I was the one who ran the discussion on a Local Auction Website a while back, I have got costs and everything now and am looking into whether this is really a realistic idea for the area I live in.

Good idea about free listings for the first 2/3 months, it will attract people to sign up and start auctioning their stuff.
How do you intend to market the website if you got one?

Thanks
Matt Street
2cSouthend
UK Mobiles
UK Ringtones
Maven
ok ok so it is the one on ebay but it gives you everything you need to get up and running for not a bad price! As to marketing thats something that I'm working on and would appreciate any ideas!
Maven
When I ran the discussion, it seemed a few people thought that there was a lack of auctions in their local area, and when you are on Ebay, you don't really know where the person is from, and sometimes you may have to pick the order up or it could get to you damaged, there are some drawbacks in using Ebay

The big problem is that it is so popular, thousands of people use it, and can you get enough interest online and offline to make your fortune?
Do you have the money to get it highly ranked in the search engines?

Are you thinking of doing this nationally or locally?
Maven
I think that it would have to be nationally to work. The drawback with not knowing where someone is from etc could be solved through me providing the escrow service which I don't believe ebay do. Ebay are increasing their fees also at the moment so there could be an opportunity to undercut them. I've heard a few people saying they didnt like ebay as much anymore because of some of the dodgy foreign sellers and a cheap escrow service could solve this?
Entrepreneur
i`ve seen many many auction sites for sale on the uk and US ebay. some guys seem to be making a fully functioning site, using the same code, sticking different graphics on and selling them for a few hundred quid a pop...

if i was to start one though, i would always ake listing items free and only charge a percentage on sold items for income. free listings encourages lots of stuff listed which makes the site look busy etc etc