This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Patents? Can I or can't I

Hi all and what a cracking site. I have been following the threads for a while now and think you are all good helping each other out. So heres my cry for help.

I have an idea that I think is new and would be useful to the hard of vision people or those working with small detail. I know the design of it but not the techical stuff behind it. I know why it works but not how it works, (if that make sense).

However, I have just looked at the patent office page and I don;t understand a word of it. Can I register an idea without knowing the technical workings of it??? and if so, am I registering a design or a patent? or have I missed the point altogether!

thanks

Owen
Guru
Looked into this myself a few years ago but only superficially and from memory

A patent is basically the registration of a design. It has to very specific so you can't register an idea without being able to specifiy exactly how it works and by what methods.

This is why you can see to similiar products both of which have patents that do the same job - but they may do the job in a different ways.

You have looked a patent document I assume enroute to checking that no-one else has patented the idea already?
Connector
If you know the idea and can discribe it, and it isn't already patented then you can patent it yourself.