This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Connector
O/T Cost of plastering?

Hi,

Sorry for the non-business related post (although I suppose it is business related if you're a plasterer!).

I am needing quite a bit of plastering/skimming done in my new house - I live in a 3 bed Victorian terrace and I need the whole hallway/landing plastered/skimmed - basically the walls need to be made smooth. I've no idea how much to expect to pay and have no recommendations of local tradesmen so will be going out of the yellow pages.
Can anyone give me an idea of a ballpark figure for the work?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ali
Connector
Could not give you a ball park figure as it will depend on so many variables, try here
http://www.myhomeconnect.co.uk
for a recommendation.
Connector
Thanks for the link, i'll check it out.
I realise noone can give me a quote as such, but I'm trying to establish a daily rate or price per metre square.
Connector
spons (small jobs) guides are great for costing building work.
but i have done loads of properties up. a good plasterer and mate (dont get a lone guy as you need one guy making the plaster and another doing the plastering) should knock it off in two days if it is just skimming. try to get off all the loose stuff yourself and possibly coat with upvc first (ask him as it will save him time and is very easy to slap on)
it is slightly tricky as there are loads of strange corners the bigger the walls the better..

3 days absolute tops
Connector
Hi Alison,

We had some skimming done in our last house. It was landing walls and ceiling, foyer ceiling, 1 wall down the stairs and a wall around a double bi-fold opening. It took the guy the best part of a day and cost 195. It was a well worth it.

I think you might have a bit more to do so if you work on maybe 2 days I would not expect it to be more than 400.

HTH
Belinda
www.chicshops.co.uk
Connector
Get prices from a few different plasterers and ask for references! Ask some people you know if they know of a good plasterer. Cost will depend largely on the condition of the existing walls. If they're coated in old plaster/mortar (probably is if it's Victorian) it may all need to come off - in this case a bonding coat will need to be applied before skimming - therefore, this would be more expensive. Likewise if the walls aren't very straight they may also need to be 'bonded' to straighten them before skimming. If you want the ceilings reboarded and skimmed it will cost more again. If it's just a lick of skim that you need then I would expect to pay about 200-300.

I disagree with moneyman - any good plasterer will be more than capable of doing this job on their own, it will just take a bit longer - therefore get a price for the job and not per day. Also, coat the walls with watered down PVA (like glue you use in school) not uPVC! This seals the existing plaster so the moisture in the new plaster won't be absorbed into the wall whilst trying to spread it. However, it's pointless doing this if the current plaster needs to be knocked off or needs a bonding coat.

Hope this helps.
Play them off against each other as well with your best prices so far!!

I did that with a few companies and ended up paying out half of what i was originally quoted!

Paul
Connector
ooops yup that was meant to be pva. slip of the keyboard.

with a job that size i would still get a man and a mate as all those corners make it a slow job and plaster goes off quite fast so lots of small mixes will be needed. it is better paying 50 per day for a mate than 150 plus for a plasterers extra work. but get more than one quote as most plasterers have a top of the head guess figure. i have done up 30 or so properties in my time and a good plasterer is like gold dust.
Connector
I had my bathroom skimmed (its probably about 3x 2.5 metres, that cost 400 from a so called friend of a friend, after looking around for the next time we had the lounge skimmed (same size) and we got this done for 140 and the bloke did a better job, it just shows you it pays to look around!!
gibbsy
where abouts are you based?? I too have a victorian house and a friend of a friend charged 10 an hour which is really cheap. Very good job done though and well worth the smooth walls
Always ask for a cash job, thats the way most people will cut you a deal.
Connector
Thanks for all the advice, I feel more equipped to get some quotes now!
I'm based in the North East UK (near Newcastle) so if you know anyone in this area to recommend that would be fab.
Connector
Ali,

Why don't you give plastering a go for yourself? It's surprisingly easy to do. The chances are that in the course of time you will want other areas of the house replastered too. Think how much money you could save yourself and also the amount of satisfaction that comes with it. If you have Sky TV, watch a programme called New Home DIY with Dave Wellman (Channel 252 some evenings) as it often shows you how to plaster and explains some bits about it.

I've done most of my house over the past 18 months and the finish is spot on - after a bit of practice! Do plenty of research first if you do consider giving it a go.