This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Guru
Taking on staff

Im in a bit of a tricky situation, i dont really have any experience of running a business although im pretty confident and have always done well in small side business ideas ive had, so im thinking i will probably need help from someone with experience in running the company but as its just starting out im not sure how well it will do so how much i can pay them. Also currently i will be running the company from home so thats another problem for taking someone on to help out.
Im just looking for some advice and sugestions.
Need a little more info.

What is the idea without giving too much away? and what aspects of business do you think you will struggle with?

Paul
Guru
I am importing shoe cleaning products from the USA, it comes in kit forms and also single products. The way i plan to sell it is wholesale to retailers, online stores, small shops and hopefully large highstreet retailers and supermarkets, also direct sales through a website but the main thing i want to do is establish a franchise of demonstration stands around the uk based in shopping centres.
The help i would need i suppose would be trying to find more retailers to supply to, basic running of the company, sorting out finances and orders etc and id like someone that has the ideas to make the company grow and the expertise to carry the ideas out.
Maven
What makes the product so unique ? How would you sell it to a prospective retail/wholesale purchaser ?
Guru
The product itself isn't so unique to other brands, i have tried them and would say the product i am importing does perform better but the way it is better than the other brands is the packaging and presentation, its a more brandable product, it comes in kit forms which other brands dont and its much more eye catching than similar brands, the way in which the company will be unique is by establishing the franchise of deomnstration stands, currently no shoe cleaning product is demonstrated so the option of which product to buy is often made by looks or being offered it in a shop. By demonstrating how well it works we take away the need to choose between the brands because the product is offered and shown to them, we take the product to the customers. Currently through demonstration alone in the U.S 60,000 units are sold each month.
Its the same as other brands of products, persil, fairy, coke, pepsi etc there are competitors in every product but we aim to establish the name as a household brand through advertisment and demonstration. The over all look of the product is better than other brands which counts allot when buying off the shelf without seeing how well they work.
Guru
I have contacted a few online retail stores and they dont really seem interested in selling cleaning products which is understandable as really it needs to be sold in stores and/or a specific site.

So i need to aim for retail stores but i need to know they are going to take me seriously, this is where im worrying my lack of experience is going to let me down.
I want to contact huge companies like Tesco, Sainsburys and JD Sports but im sure it wont be as simple as showing them the product and them agreeing to try it in a few stores first will it?

Will i need to go to them with a full presentation and details of the company and how its all going to work and be established etc?
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by Lurch
I want to contact huge companies like Tesco, Sainsburys and JD Sports but im sure it wont be as simple as showing them the product and them agreeing to try it in a few stores first will it?

Will i need to go to them with a full presentation and details of the company and how its all going to work and be established etc?
Initially these buyers will want a sample of your product and any sales material. If on inspection they like your product they will then request a meeting.

You will also need a tight distributor agreement so they know you are the only wholesaler in the UK. I assume you have this sorted anyway.

Have you thought about QVC?

Good Luck,
Belinda
www.chicshops.co.uk
Guru
Hi yes i do have an agreement to say im the only wholesaler in the uk.
When you say sales material do you mean records of sales figures so far?
I havent begin to sell any yet, ive got samples over from the US and i want to approach big companies before i establish a franchise of demonstration stands, But i can get sales figures from the US and obviously i have profit margins worked out etc.
I have considered QVC as obviously this type of product is best demonstrated even though it does sell without being demonstrated but im not sure how QVC is veiwed nowadays.
I always believed things like that were a bit tatty and the products wasn't really that good and i dont want to give that view of these products.