This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Connector
Spyware / Adware Software?

Hi All,

I've got McAfee Security Centre which covered Spam, Firewall & Virus but have realised due to getting infected with the Spy-Agent.ba trojan last night that I need a specific or separate spyware program.

McAfee picked it up but could not delete it so I spent the better part of last night manually deleting it. I realise it's a new trojan but wondered what you all use and how much is costs?

Thanks
Belinda
www.chicshops.co.uk
Connector
Use firefox instead of internet exploer.
There are a lot of free tools available, scanners to remove infections, as well as preventative measures, have a look at

http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/hijacked/

You can adequately protect yourself without spending a penny on software.
Maven
www.grisoft.com do a free antivirus program with free updates that's pretty good.

For adware, I use Ad-Aware Personal SE from LavaSoft, which has always worked pretty well for me. I got it with an older version of Google pack but they don't seem to include it with the current version.

Google do appear to be giving away Norton Antivirus 2005 SE as part of Google pack though so you might want to have a look at that.

Good luck!
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by sarah1979
www.grisoft.com do a free antivirus program with free updates that's pretty good.

For adware, I use Ad-Aware Personal SE from LavaSoft, which has always worked pretty well for me. I got it with an older version of Google pack but they don't seem to include it with the current version.

Google do appear to be giving away Norton Antivirus 2005 SE as part of Google pack though so you might want to have a look at that.

Good luck!
I second Google Pack - it's not just free software, they're actually giving you stuff that costs money. Might be a big PR stunt, might be something else, but don't have a much to lose downloading it.

Although first option for me would be to ditch Windows and switch to Linux...

I'm probably a little bit biased though.

Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by chris90uk
I
Although first option for me would be to ditch Windows and switch to Linux...
Seriously, you would drop your operating system, applications, files from those proprietry applications, learn to use a new OS, learn to use new applications, re-create your files in favour of spending 5 mins downloading and installing firefox, for free ??? (not to mention hardware compatibility issues)

If you are referring to AV software, you still need this on Linux to prevent distribution of viruses contained in windows based files, although your own OS would be imune.

Linux is great, but Ive used a few forums where people have wiped all their data trying to set up dual boots etc. Its not something that can be taken lightly.... ok, I know your biased :-)
Connector
Thanks for the replies. I have heard FF is much more secure and I do have it but I really don't like it. I find it slow in loading pages personally so I am looking for just an add on thing. I am happy with McAfee for the rest.

Cheers,
Belinda
www.chicshops.co.uk
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by Belinda
Thanks for the replies. I have heard FF is much more secure and I do have it but I really don't like it. I find it slow in loading pages personally so I am looking for just an add on thing. I am happy with McAfee for the rest.

Cheers,
Belinda
www.chicshops.co.uk
Firefox is usually faster, loads of plug ins available, maybe you should give it a second chance :-)

The link I posted earlier contains links for Adware and Spybot search and destroy, these will clean your system of spyware.

Browser hijacks are more difficult so you want to take preventative measures, there is a program available for download here:

http://javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

but has a disclaimer about it not being tested with other security apps. I have not used this, but still have its predecessor's (no longer available) which worked quite well.
Connector
I've been using Windows Defender http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx for quite some time and it really is very good indeed. Combined with Clam AV and Windows Firewall I feel completely confident.

Oh and changing browsers or even more drastically, changing OS won't protect you more as the tools you use are only as good as the workman(women) operating them
Connector
AVG Free is very good.
www.bluetekservices.com
Web and Corporate Design | IT Systems

My status
Connector
Really I would steer clear of the ones that places like PC shops reccomend because they're often more trouble than they're worth. E.g. Mcaff, etc. that all cost money and slow a computer down quite a lot. AVG free is good. If you are looking for software, try looking for freeware on www.download.com because they now only include safe software (they used to include software that included spyware and stuff).

Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by openmind
Oh and changing browsers or even more drastically, changing OS won't protect you more as the tools you use are only as good as the workman(women) operating them
Yes they will protect you more, because your not trying to protect yourself from an act of god, your trying to protect yourself against an engineered piece of software, which was written with specific targets (Windows and IE) in mind.

So regardless of the skill of the workman(woman) operating the software, you are at less risk, because there are less shots being fired at you.

Or to put it another way, some tools are safer than others... never use a blunt chisel, very dangerous :-)
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by gnu
Yes they will protect you more, because your not trying to protect yourself from an act of god, your trying to protect yourself against an engineered piece of software, which was written with specific targets (Windows and IE) in mind.

So regardless of the skill of the workman(woman) operating the software, you are at less risk, because there are less shots being fired at you.

Or to put it another way, some tools are safer than others... never use a blunt chisel, very dangerous :-)
I suppose there must be some critical mass though - I mean I think the only reason Linux is relatively safe from attacks is because it is not widely used enough to have much effect, whereas most computers use windows so they go for the greatest number. If more people used Linux than Windows then the tables might turn. Of course, Linux is safer than windows anyway, for the moment.

Connector
Can't believe no-one's mentioned Adaware!

www.lavasoft.de

Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle
Can't believe no-one's mentioned Adaware!

www.lavasoft.de

They have (GNU did). As well as Spybot. When I used windows my system actually became overrun with spyware utilities, registry cleaners, tuneup software, etc, and it became a lose-lose situation. Glad to see the back of it...

Connector
have a look on here

http://100-downloads.com/

there are plenty of free bits of software which will do the job for you.

FYI

I use windows Defender Beta along with Symantec Internet security 2006, works a treat for me.

Good luck

Ady