This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Maven
What's the protocol?

OK, so tomorrow I'm going for an interview with a potential employer.

They responded to my application in extremely informal style with an email; friendly tone, almost banter-ish. We agreed to "meet to discuss the role", and they just got back to me and said they'd like to meet in a pub near where I live. I should mention that the company is an LLP and I'm meeting with two of the partners; despite my low station on the ladder.

Now I've already resolved to remove my earring and wear a suit; in the name of appropriateness for the situation. However, what I don't know is, who offers to pay first? The selected venue does food; do I suggest eating or do they? Having eaten, who offers to pay?

I want to be polite without being obsequious. I want to be assertive without being agressive. I want to appear to be totally in control of my own world... and usually in familiar situations and a good number of unfamiliar ones, I am all these things. However now I simply have no idea how to proceed...

Help? Thanks!

Tom
Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
StoneBlog Prime
Connector
Suppose it depends what time the meeting is at - is it specifically a lunch-time meeting?

Personally I would wait for them to suggest eating and I would offer to pay - that way you don't look too presumptious or tight!

I would def opt for a soft drink though!

Good luck!

S.
Connector
I had this once, met in a pub with one of the senior sales guys. He got the first round in, I got the next, he got the next, then me, ad nauseum....

Bloody good night out, didn't get the job but hell I was only 17

Don't drink whatever you do, say you're a Mormon or something as it's an exceptionally bad idea...
s for the food thing, as Sharon suggests, offer to pay if they suggest eating. Course that could back fire if they order 64oz steaks
Connector
They should be paying - if I was the employer I would put the card behind the bar and settle discretely, you are the guest in this situation.

However if they buy you a drink cash, then I would offer for a second round but quickly accept if they want to pay. I personally would get a coffee for both especially if its lunchtime.

Again with dinner offer to split if the situation is unclear, or just say thanks if they go for the bill as I would if you where my guest. I wouldnt offer to pay for all of it as you are the guest.

Re booze simply them you are driving if you feel embarrassed not buying a pint, just say you dont like to have anything if driving. It makes you look confident by knowing your own mind and they probably wont even notice what you are drinking.

Hope the helps, and good luck.

Regards,
Maven
Thanks guys, it is a lunchtime meeting... the drinking isn't an issue as I absolutely don't drink and drive under any circumstances.

So - they're going to recognise me (they have my photo)... if they don't approach me with drinks in hand I'll offer to buy them coffees and/or soft drinks...

Tom
Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
StoneBlog Prime