This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Go Back   Shell LiveWIRE Discussion Forums > Shell LiveWIRE

Maven
Has anyone done business with eDirectory?

If so could you let me know your experiences.

Cheers :-)
Connector
Yes, feel free to email me at info @ chicshops . co . uk

Cheers,
Belinda
Maven
I have spoken to them but I thought there "setup fee was ridiculous. They wanted between 1500 and 2000 from me depending on the agreed commission. Personally Id rather spend that money on SEO. If they had been able to provide me with sales forecasts or something to show I would get a good return I may have been more enthusiastic. They should be happy with the commission and itd make people more confident in things selling if they werent after such a large lump sum upfront.
Connector
Personally I have not had much work from online directories however, this is not to say they will not produce for other type of businesses. I also think the set-up fee sounds high for something that might not even work.

I had a sales bloke on the phone other day not sure which company he was phoning from. First thing he asked was Can you take on more work? I thought he was looking for a website. But it turned out he was selling me advertising space. He carried on to say, they have customers looking for new websites in my area, and they need me to help them out.

I asked how much? He replied - 200 (I think) + monthly cost. At first this sounded a great deal! But then it hit me! If they are so confident they can pass me leads then surly they can offer a weeks trial period. But guess what! NO!

I asked if I could think about it and get back to him? That was not allowed either!

I offer free design examples to my new clients when requested because I am confident in my work. This same should apply to the online advertising industry. Especially as the competition is ever increasing.
Starting Out
hello, we signed up with e-directory and so far have had one sale in six months !!

they tell me this is unheard of ! But they also say its not my product and the descriptions and prices and pictures are great???
Guru
They called me up the other week, I said I would do it if I could have a trial period, he wouldn't offer it. Strange that they quoted you 1500-2000 for the set up fee, they offered it to me for 500!
This would eb great if it was a good as he was saying, but I asked him what kind of sales other t shirt shops who were on it get, he said he couldn't tell me becasue it was sensitiive information and the companies wouldn't want it given out, he wouldn't even give me a rough figure without naming any companies.

I was actually still condidering it but if klew only got one sale in six months I might just give it a miss!
Connector
Surprising they charge so much when Google Base is free
Starting Out
They told me the other clothing companies were raking it in when I signed up but they were big brand sites. They also can't give any info on statistics eg if people are viewing your items but not purchasing.

The one sale I have had from them when I put through my system couldn't be processed and I had to ring the customer myself for a different card number. I don't know if this is standard practice?

Maybe I've just been unlucky but i have a lot of faith in my product and i'm really surprised at the lack of sales. I even slashed my prices for a short while and still nothing.

Mind you no one I know seems to have heard of them !
Quirky, original digitally printed & embroidered clothing, Inspired by the urban environment.

Klew Promotions Printwear and promotion solutions. Logo design and t-shirt printing services.
Entrepreneur
Oh dear. I've just signed up with them so they had better give me more than one sale! I sell designer sunglasses and all other merchants selling sunglasses on their sell them for about 100. My price will be about 55-60 for the same products so hopefully by undercutting them it will work great!
Maven
I told them I wasn't intrested. too many poeple have said negatice things about it, and the prices they quote seem to be very random so all sounds very dodgy to me.
Connector
I have never used edirectory to search for products; also I have never spotted their website appearing in my Google searches.

So I'm not sure how they can justify charging so much for set-up.

On well, they may have to lower their prices soon, as Google Base, Google Checkout, eBay Express and the new vertical search engines possibly eating into their market.
Hi there

As eDirectory Sales Manager, I've been following this thread with interest (obviously!).

The eDirectory online network currently contains product data from over 800 merchants. Of course, returns vary - some retailers make several hundred thousand pounds per year via ourselves, others much less. Like any other avenue, for some people it works fantastically, others not.

Whilst it's true to say that we charge an annual fee and a commission on sales, the figures I've seen quoted on this thread are very much our 'top end' prices, for huge datasets. Retailers can work with ourselves on a limited product basis, allowing them to 'test the water' so to speak without such a heavy initial outlay.

I'd be happy to discuss any eDirectory-related queries if anyone would like more info, either publicly via this forum or privately - feel free to email me or call me direct on 01229 845864.

Paul Curwen
Sales Manager
eDirectory.co.uk Plc
Starting Out
Hi Paul,

I'd love it if you could give me some advice on the products I sell on e-directory. Can you tell me if there's any reason you can see why my product isn't selling with you. Constructive criticism on the things I can change on e-directory ie descriptions, product, price etc please

Either online or you can email me kate@klew.co.uk
Quirky, original digitally printed & embroidered clothing, Inspired by the urban environment.

Klew Promotions Printwear and promotion solutions. Logo design and t-shirt printing services.
Hi Kate

I've instructed your account manager to contact you with a view to discussing ways we can help improve things for you - expect to receive an email today.

Kind regards

Paul Curwen
Sales Manager
eDirectory.co.uk Plc
Guru
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulC

Whilst it's true to say that we charge an annual fee and a commission on sales, the figures I've seen quoted on this thread are very much our 'top end' prices, for huge datasets. Retailers can work with ourselves on a limited product basis, allowing them to 'test the water' so to speak without such a heavy initial outlay.
If these are top end figures what kind of price would e Directory charge for smaller retailers with say 20 products selling at 5- 25?