This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Guru
Balloon Races

Does anyone here have experience of organising balloon races? In particular, I'm looking for a good quality label which won't run in the rain..

All other tips would be appreciated too.. it's for charity..

Rachel?

Cheers.
Stew
Connector
I can't say I have any clue about balloon racing (I assume you mean hot air balloons) but I can certainly have a look for you.

It might be an idea to do a family fun day so have a fun fair, foot stalls, your balloon racing, drinks, maybe a marquee with some entertainment going on (local bands maybe...) all of which you won't have to pay for because they get their money from the people at the fun day....infact you can charge them to be involved which is usual practice and that would cover your insurance and field rental.
Guru
Quote:
Originally posted by Rachael
[b]I can't say I have any clue about balloon racing (I assume you mean hot air balloons) but I can certainly have a look for you.
Sorry, I should have said that it's ordinary balloons filled with helium.. launch a load of them and with tickets on them, and the person who bought the balloon which travels the furthest, gets a prize..

And the location is a Tesco's car park.. As for entertainment, the charity I'm involved with is a childrens' hospital radio station (anyone familiar with Radio Lollipop?), and we'll be having a roadshow...
Connector
This company might be of interest to you http://www.balloon.co.uk/releases.htm

All the best!

Sarah
Connector
I used to help out in a balloon shop. We did a balloon race, it was fun, although only two tags were found.

Due to the possibility of cheating, it is a good idea to ask the finder of the tag to get it date stamped in a local post office, as this will show the location as well.

For tags, contact MK Printing, as he is bound to have some good ideas for the printing of the tags.
Starting Out
I think you need to inform local airports and possibly RAF if you are in a low flying zone. You dont wanna cause any nasty accidents!

Mark

Guru
Quote:
Originally posted by happymarky123
I think you need to inform local airports and possibly RAF if you are in a low flying zone. You dont wanna cause any nasty accidents!

Mark
Thanks Mark - I spoke to Glasgow Air Traffic Control yesterday and they've approved the launch - I just need to contact them 10 minutes before the launch so they can clear the airspace and make sure the police helicopter doesn't require to be active in the area..

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far.. any more for any more?

Cheers.
Stew
Connector
There was a kid in the paper the other day who released a balloon here in Cardiff with his address attached, a few weeks later he recieved a letter from an elderly lady in France stating said balloon had landed in her garden. It's quite supprising just how far they can go. How do you plan of figuring out which one is the winner?
Guru
Of the ones which are returned, the one from furthest away will win...
Connector
Take a read of this before you go ahead - there are some legalities to observe these days... Quite ridiculous really
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/5118130.stm

Business Consultancy @ Inzvestor
Connector
Just wait for the government to lauch there new legislation on breathing.. the worlds gone mad!

Who allows all these laws to pass they obviously don't live in the real world.

Sorry for the victor meldrew/grumpy old men routine but some of the silly initiatives and laws and rules are starting to get right on my nerves.
Connector
I can see the justification for the council but they forget that a balloon can travel hundreds of miles so unlikely to all end up in the town they were let off in anyway!

What if 80,000 clumsy kids let go of their helium balloons one day???
Guru
It's ridiculous, isn't it? I'll check with Glasgow City Council and see what they say...

Thanks for the heads-up!
Can you do it on more time?

Hi Stewart,

I am really fond of balloons. I had experience of balloon racing (ordinary ones) and it was a great success.

I really want to do it again. I am based in Central London. Maybe email me or call me if you are still up for it? 07903809520 romel.pacson@hotmail.co.uk

Romel