This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Starting Out
New online shop

I have got the idea for an online shop selling construction toys and Farm toys mainly diecast with prices from £5. I have got in contact with a supplier who has given me a price list and i believe i can make the bussines work. I will carry on working full time while the bussiness establishes as i have a child to support. If anyone can give me some advice with getting started i have got some web design experience so thats not a problem i was going to use a Paypal cart intergrated on my site. Having a look about i can't see to many uk retailer specializing in this area.

Any feedback welcome
Connector
sounds like a great idea. My little boy love brittains and tonka etc. as you mention they are quite tough to find online. Tractor and construction dvd's and video's would also sit along side these products well. Have alook at secpay and protx for taking payments as they tend to look a bit more professional. or start with an ebay shop to give yourself some credibility and test the water without a large outlay.
good luck
mike
www.sophieandgrace.co.uk
designer bikini's
Starting Out
thanks for the advice about payment options i will research this. Does anyone know of a decent reliable packaging supplier?

Cheap but good quality packaging
Starting Out
may I add a word of caution here......

toys and online dont go together.......remember your target market....children. As a seller of toys you capture your buyers, the parents, by giving children a compelling reason to nag their parents to buy them whatever you are selling...and its seasonal too.

I would hold off until Christmas, stock up and then hit ebay like no ones business, thats when parents are looking for christmas gifts. Kids simply dont use the internet to find presents. Parents only do it (in large numbers) at christmas. NEVER forget who you are targetting, understand how and why they buy and take advantage of it.
Starting Out
No disrespect to the last post a good point.

However i currently work for the largest toy retailer in the world and know for a fact that there is a market for toys outside of the christmas period you have birthdays all year round and these day kids seem to get presents for just being good. Also the toys i will be selling also will appeal to collectors of these items which does have a massive following if i can get into this market.
Connector
I don't really know anything about toys or the market but sounds a good idea to me.

Seems like you've thought it all through, have the right plans in place and have the relevant market experience...

I say give it try and see how it goes.

Have a look on this site for information about payment systems - http://www.electronic-payments.co.uk

The business link are a great help when starting a business, well worth a phone call. http://www.businesslink.gov.uk

The only other thing I would say is regarding the website... If at all possible (funds allowing) have a professional set this up for you. It's the customer facing front of your business and it must instill the trust purchasers are looking for.

Anyways all the best

Martin
Starting Out
thanks for the link in regard to payment options thats really useful.

Thanks for the advice on website design

Does anyone know a rough cost of a professional website design? cheap but not so cheap it shows.
Connector
Depends where you go for it. You can get one from a web designer which will be a more professional and thought through service or you could hire a talented teenager who is capable of the same end product, but with less professionalism, for a fraction of the price. I know what your saying about the collectors market too, I've had some ideas regarding that recentley. It takes alot to make a product a collectors item.
Starting Out
Hi Glimmer,

Excellent point......however, when you are the biggest toy retailer in the world you have an established brand name, and a marketing budget that many small businesses would kill for!

My caution was aimed at a niche startup online shop.

A friend of mine in Singapore is buying toys from factories in Thailand and China and selling them to highstreet shops like woolworths and supermarkets like Tesco and Asda. He is currently looking at supplying tennis video games, just a single game console with a movement sensor, you have a racket with a transmitter on it, you can either play the console or against your friend.....its a really good game, costs him about USD9 per unit, he is hoping to sell crate loads to uk shops for USD18 per unit......right in time for Wimbledon.

My point is that it might be more lucrative if you act as the middle man, not the retailer.....if you can negociate a deal with the supplier, get further discount on your stock for larger orders and broker deals with established retailers......less risk for you.

In fact, this friend of mine never actually owns the stock, not sure how it works exactly as I havent been directly involved, but I do know that he buys samples, has his brother in the UK do the demos to the chains who then negociates numbers and prices, my friend then places orders on the manufacturer who ships directly to the retailer. The retailer pays my friend and my friend pays the factory.

He does this with toys, clothing and even furniture (from Bali!).

Im not saying what you are planning wont work, not at all, I think its a great idea, and I have a lot of respect for anyone who takes up the challenge. I just know so many people that put hours, days, weeks, and a LOT of money into these kind of ventures only to end up losing big time!

Best of luck!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OH! And for those who think Im here to promote an affiliate link! - to prevent any further sour mouths (referring to another thread :-D ) I am about to go to my profile and remove the "ads" I came here to learn and to offer advice based on my humble experience in business not to promote anything.....maybe one day I will have my own blog listing all my affiliate websites linked in my sig *grin*
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin
I don't really know anything about toys or the market but sounds a good idea to me.

Seems like you've thought it all through, have the right plans in place and have the relevant market experience...

I say give it try and see how it goes.

Have a look on this site for information about payment systems - http://www.electronic-payments.co.uk

The business link are a great help when starting a business, well worth a phone call. http://www.businesslink.gov.uk

The only other thing I would say is regarding the website... If at all possible (funds allowing) have a professional set this up for you. It's the customer facing front of your business and it must instill the trust purchasers are looking for.

Anyways all the best

Martin

I fully agree with what martin has said in this post, especially about the website. I've seen too many online shops fail because of a poor store created by an unprofessional designer. Basically it's the difference between hiring a kid or hiring a professional to paint and do the interior design of a real shop. In some respects, you really do get what you pay for.

Quote:
Does anyone know a rough cost of a professional website design? cheap but not so cheap it shows.
I'm afraid you'll probably have to chase the designers on this as almost none of them are willing to post their quotes on the forum.

Good luck!

netInspired - Website | Application | Database Development

View Phil Rae's profile on LinkedIn