This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Entrepreneur
How is this for an idea

I'm a web developer who is working for a company full time (40+ hours a week). I'm being paid quite badly as this is my first job in the industry but my experience is quite good and so is my knowledge.

Anyway. I've thought for a while about ideas and thought about this:

A kind of dating/online community/personal web page service. So you do this:

- Create profile (optional details: height, weight, hair colour, interests, location, job, age, and many more)
- Once this has been done you will be given: www.mydomain.com/yourname and you may/may not use it

The main selling point will be that your membership will be based on location. For example if you are in Liverpool you will be able to view the other 100 users from that area, and can even meet up with some of them too - and view their pictures.

I have the idea that companies and organisations can pay to advertise events in the local sections of the website. Lets say there is a car festival in Cornwall. They can pay a certain amount and have a banner/email or something sent to the users from the Cornwall area.

Something along these lines anyway.

Any thoughts?
Connector
well a quick search of google reveals lots of this type of service... What would make your site different?

G

You can get paid for your friends playing games on your site:

http://www.uvme.biz/74994GA
Click on the link and watch the video.
Connector
their are many like this, i just had someone put one up similar on the advertising page, maybe do a networking site for young entrepreneurs, or summat, I can point you in the right direction

Free basic website development www.pcgstudios.net
Entrepreneur
Quote:
Originally posted by gwhaskew
well a quick search of google reveals lots of this type of service... What would make your site different?

G
It was pretty instinctive and I just did a quick google search, only a few interesting looking sites that are actually providing a "real" service.

My main selling point will be:

1. It's locally-focussed market. It will be heavily marketed to YOUR area, so when you sign up you select an area of the country, i.e. Birmingham. You can then view the 500 other members who are from all different parts of the area, with all different interests, etc....

2. It will also allow users to have their own webspace/page to blog or just show images/links and other information about themselves. They can add other members too. This builds up a real community of people, both online and hopefully offline.

3. Companies/organisations/businesses can target areas and members. As it is heavily based on a local area, a carboot sale in a specific area can target the 300 members of that area. Or a band looking for publicity can offer half price tickets in the area where they will be playing - South wales for example. This will be chargeable.

In my opinion there will always be someone with the same idea/same kind of site. Just trying to make it more attractive/unique/more powerful.

The one thing I lack at the minute is the scope. I've only just started thinking about htis, haven't thought in depth/fully about what it will do EXACTLY. Do you think it is a good base to start with?
Connector
I think as long as you have a certain angle then it could work pretty well for you as you have the skills already to run the website.

good luck either way,

G

You can get paid for your friends playing games on your site:

http://www.uvme.biz/74994GA
Click on the link and watch the video.
Connector
Alot of the other sites are a nightmare to either use properly or navigate. If you can build a site which actually works well you could do well. I like the local directory idea too. You might be able to include a local business section. I realise we have yellow pages but the cost isn't worth the results. Your site may be a welcome alternative.

I'd say get cracking mate.
hi,

I was reading your recent post regarding a dating website and would like to elaborate further on your idea but with a slightly different concept which I believe has not been done yet.

I do not have sufficient knowledge of IT but have a business background. If you would like to discuss this further please email me at karlbergpontus@hotmail.com

regards,

Pontus