This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

gibbsy
Registered Business Address

Hi there,

I am planning a business venture after just moving into my first house ( I know... one thing at a time) and part of the mortgage small print is that i cant operate a business from my home address.
As it is a business that doesnt need premises what are the best options available to me. Can i register a business to a Post Box, is this advisable?

Any help would be appreciated

cheers

gibbsy
Connector
you can register it where you like, some companies offer it as a service.

I use this company for my company secretary. They offer a registered address for £50 a year

http://www.uk-plc.net/companyformation/services.htm

Hope this helps

Ady
Connector
Hang on a minute ady, this poster may not need a limited company. I am not sure if gibbsy is looking for a "business trading address" which could be for a sole trader, or a registered office address for a "limited company".

If it is a limited company, you certainly canít have a PO box as the registered office address, nor should you as the main address as a sole trader.

I think the real question here isnít whether or not there is something in the mortgage, more a question of whether if would actually be enforced?

My mortgage has a similar clause, despite being a "self employed" mortgage, and the mortgage company being fully aware that I work from home. Ultimately what benefit would there be for them to enforce the clause? I would just threaten to re-mortgage with another company and they would lose the business.

Donít get too bogged down in small technicalities unless it is likely that there is actually any incentive for these rules to be enforced. Nearly everyoneís deeds - including mine - say that the property should only be used for residential purposes, so long as you arenít making a nuisance (ie lots of traffic or noise) I donít think there should be a problem.

Regards,
Entrepreneur
Hi, I have a PO Box address for my business, simply because I did not want our home address in advertising materials and directories.
It's very easy to set up and has worked well for me so far.
I work at home half the time, and at client premises (I'm a tutor!) for the rest. There has been no problem with the mortgage.
Connector
Did people get put off by seeing a PO box or not?

Do clients still know your main address?
gibbsy
Quote:
Originally posted by James Smith
Hang on a minute ady, this poster may not need a limited company. I am not sure if gibbsy is looking for a "business trading address" which could be for a sole trader, or a registered office address for a "limited company".

If it is a limited company, you certainly canít have a PO box as the registered office address, nor should you as the main address as a sole trader.

I think the real question here isnít whether or not there is something in the mortgage, more a question of whether if would actually be enforced?

My mortgage has a similar clause, despite being a "self employed" mortgage, and the mortgage company being fully aware that I work from home. Ultimately what benefit would there be for them to enforce the clause? I would just threaten to re-mortgage with another company and they would lose the business.

Donít get too bogged down in small technicalities unless it is likely that there is actually any incentive for these rules to be enforced. Nearly everyoneís deeds - including mine - say that the property should only be used for residential purposes, so long as you arenít making a nuisance (ie lots of traffic or noise) I donít think there should be a problem.

Regards,

thanks for the advice james, yes i did mean a limited company address sorry for the confusion.
Starting Out
Hi,

Rather than using a PO Box, which, may give the impression of being temporary, you could get a virtual office. Some business centres that offer office space can also recieve your post and forward telephone calls. http://www.inigo.co.uk are a chain that have buildings with good addresses. That way you sound like a larger operation. If you ask them nicely you can use the address as your registered address too.