This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Customers & Clients

I currently work full time, but wish to start my own web design business from home. As all you designers will know, building your portfolio is hard going (especially when you work all day). please can someone tell me the best places to advertise my business, and how to go about approaching clients who dont know me?

Thanks, I look forward to your replies.
Connector
Hi. As you may be aware, the web design business is very saturated at the moment and you are going to need some very good design skills to stand out from the crowd. What lanuages/ progamming skills do you have? General design can be aimed at the lower emd of the scale where database design could be targeted towards the larger clients. How are you with ecommerce? Flash? PHP/ MySQL? ASP? To build your portfolio, you can offer web design for next to nothing initally and then as you become established, you can charge the market rate. To get your name "out there" you can partisipate in various forums, newsgroups...etc Remember your website will reflect yourself and your skills so this will need to be something special.

Regards
Jay
Design R Web Solutions
Starting Out
Starting up

web design and graphics is a hugely saturated market - so to build up your portfolio you should expect to do a few sites for silly money or free of charge. I have a project coming up that you could pitch for requiring a small database and some PHP coding - if you're interested email me at andrew.c@numedia.ltd.uk
Entrepreneur
hi

i agree with the previous threads. the market is saturated , and it is important to establish a sound portfolio, a style that is built from a balance of technical and aesthetic is a element that can be
really benefical and i would guess something which we all strieve
to achieve.

know your market. target those areas that you will be confident
in delivering . this way you experience the process of project
management and develop skills that will enable you to seek more challenging ones as you develop.

i agree with chalk1 . there maybe a few projects that you will
work for free, these can be great in that you can explore the process and showcase some of your design skills . establish you portfolio, although i would stress that be cautious about which projects you choose to do for free. word of mouth is a valuable markting tool and you dont want to sell yourself short.
good luck for the future. :)

www.iceberg51.com
Maven
Hi Jimmy (if that's your name!)

Do you have any examples of websites that you've already created?

If you want to have a go at designing my website for use in your portfolio feel free!! I currently have another web designer working on a design for the same reason and it will probably be a case of whoever comes up with the best design will get paid!

I cannot afford the full web designers rates at the moment, but I intend to go all-out with the marketing of my site, both online and offline - lots of PR etc etc ......and I will make sure that whoever designs my site will be mentioned in all my marketing where possible - so will get lots of exposure.

Let me know if you're interested?

Thanks!
Laura
Starting Out
Hi Lenie,

Can you email me with more information about your potential site (andrewc@sp-team.com). I work with a company that wants to build-up it's portfolio also.

Thanks

Andy
info@sp-team.com
Maven
Hi Andy,

I'm just making some amendments to my functional spec at the moment, so I'll forward it to you tomorrow if that's ok?

I look forward to hearing from you,

Laura
Entrepreneur
hi

hi laura.

just read the thread and would be interested in hearing more about the project.

could you mail me some info?

mail@iceberg51.com

thanks
Maven
Hi.....is it Chris??(just a random guess!)

Thanks for your interest.....I think I replied to your other post on building your portfolio?

As I said to Andy, I'm just making some amendments to my requirements spec at the mo, but would be pleased to send it to you tomorrow and look forward to hearing your ideas.

Thanks!
Laura
Entrepreneur
DOH . !! its clayton by the way
Entrepreneur
Hi Lenie,
if you still need a web designer i'm interested for the same reason as the rest (portfolio building).
Please feel free to email the details to me.
wolexie@talk21.com
Maven
Hi Covenant,

Thanks for offering your services, will forward you my spec tomorrow and look forward to hearing your ideas too!!

Thanks!
Laura

p.s Sorry about that Clayton...was convinced you were a Chris!!!!