This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Entrepreneur
New PC Hardware Retail Business.

Hi all

I thought I would ask your opinions on a computer retail business.

I know its very competitive but to open one in an area where there is not another business like this and also offer extra services from business solutions to pc upgrades and repairs as well digital conversions and possible digital printing.

I also know a lot of people can build machines and sort out the problems but what about those people who don't have time, who are not very technical minded, do you think there would be a demand?

The bread and butter of business would be to sell new systems as well as other hardware.

I have about 4-6 years experience in IT and I am thinking of forming a partnership of 3 people (myself + 2 other) who also have the IT knowledge and one of them had already started something similar but it didn't take off...but I think I know where they faltered.

Thanks in advance for you opinions!!

Techie_Man
Starting Out
Hi techie

Funny, everything you posted is what I am presently trying to set up with one partner.

From what I have seen this is a huge market which is growing rapidly and as long as you do things right then there is most definitely enough business around for what you have described.

I'd be interested to know if you have found a decent supplier of hardware as this has been one of the hardest tasks I have had to date and it's causing me all sorts of budgeting problems.

I have decent IT skills but I also have 8 years in accountancy to help me out where as my partner in the business has over 10 years of top level IT experience and presently works for the BBC so we should provide a good mix of skills.
Starting Out
One helpful way to gauge the potential of a business idea is to select a few companies of similar size and stature that operate in your target market. In your example this would be small computer sales/repair centres – the yellow pages or yell.com is always a good start. Once you have a selection of names you can then visit the companies house website (www.companieshouse.co.uk) and download their last posted accounts for a small cost, assuming that they are ltd companies and not sole traders. This will give you some idea of how successful they are and, in some cases, provide detailed information.
info@sp-team.com
Entrepreneur
Matt

I know a few people who have either done this business and couldn't cope with it as they didn't have the right skills or didn't have the right vision. I think the problem now is as its a competitive market, some business like this only target one area and you cannot survive that way.

With regards to supplier I havent spoken to any individual suppliers but again I do know people who will be able to give me the contacts but at the moment...I am trying to get hold of the partners and also look for premises.

Personally I had thought about this business before but my employer is taking the mickey now with pay and career development so I am thinking of being my own boss.

So how are you going to start you business? have you got premises? are you going to have a web presence (online shop)? it will be nice to see how you get on....as your background and mine are very different.

Techie_Man
Starting Out
Finance wise we're pretty much sorted. Between our two houses we have about £140k worth of equity so we're basically going to sell them, buy a larger house between us which at present will leave us with about £50k or so.

We've scouted a few potential areas and have been very impressed by the results. No PC World or other main competitor for miles and miles around and only one very small PC shop within a 5 mile radious and they do things very differently to how we're looking to start up. We found one or two premises that are vacant at present but we still have a lot of work to do on the business plan before we actually tie ourselves down to any contracts.

We will most definitely be having a web presence. We have already procured our webname, which wasn't a breeze either as finding one that is available is a cow and when we did find one the present owner wanted $1800.00 for it. But we got there in the end and all for £58.75. My bro is looking at the details for the site at present but again this is something I reckon we'll only get to properly in May.

Would like to hear more about you past experiences.
Entrepreneur
Finance will be an issue...so not sure how we gonna manage to get half what you have but then again I know someone started with 10 grand and was doing very well only problem was he was never serious and was selling only through the web.

Location will be crucial....I am looking at a busy shopping area, there is some competition near by but not enough I feel. I am also relying on my contacts to get custom as my dad practically knows the whole whole local area as he used to have is own business while back.

Personally I work for one of the biggest IT companies in the world....so I have a lot of experience in the field of IT and I also have business knowledge through my degree and my previous employment.

Something tells me I should go ahead and do it...win or lose I wont know until I try

Techie_Man
Starting Out
Same here, the places we have looked at are busy shopping areas within the field of a large populous and nearby to local train and tube stations. There is also heaps of parking nearby which is very handy indeed.

That's the whole point, you won't know unless you try and IMHO it's such a large market that if you know what you're doing, are serious about it and willing to put in all the effort that is required then you should have a really good chance of success.

Hopefully we won't end up starting up shops next door to each other
Connector
Hi Matt/ Techie Man. Just to add to your threads, it may be worth looking at computer markets. If you go to: http://www.computermarkets.co.uk/ this is the URL for the northern markets, but they are quite wide spread these days. (Southern...etc)

Maybe a source of extra income?

Good luck with your businesses.

Jay
Design R Web Solutions
Starting Out
Indeed. This is something else we have been looking at and there is a particularly well established one in the W1 Tottenham Court Road area.

Thanks for the link, may be able to find a few others from there.
Entrepreneur
Thanks for that.

I have been going to the markets for a few years, recently I have found the prices not too good to be honest. Plus adding the travel time and petrol and entry fee...I have stopped going.

As for selling at the fares...could consider it?

But for a business if you can forge some good links with wholesale business that will give you good prices...then you have a chance. I think if you are concentrating just on hardware and no extra services then it will be tough to survive and in this dynamic environment flexibility and variety is very important.

Matt:

I doubt we will be opening next door to each other I am in the Midlands and from your profile you seem to be in the Essex region so hopefully....we won't be competing in the same area

Techie_Man
Maven
Software Supplier

Hi,

Should anybody starting up require software they might like to sign up there details at my site www.saversoftware.co.uk.

We are currently preparing to launch our Trade website in April and to ensure you recieve login detail please sign up your full details today.

Regards

Gareth