This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Hello Newbie Here

Thought I'd introduce myself !! I am currently employed but I am in the process of starting up my own web design and hosting business.

I have been doing web design as a hobbie for the past 4 years and it something I really enjoy doing...

I have put my business on the net you can have a look if you would like to as any feedback would be great !!

http://www.jlnetsolutions.co.uk/

My plan was to put the business on the net for a period of 6 months while still employed and do any work arising from it in my spare time to see how it goes and then if it takes off then to go at it full time..

Trouble is Im 3 months down the line and the hosting space is costing me and I havent had much interest so I am really at a lose and am thinking of bining the idea which I don't want to do as I really want it to work !!

I was maybe thinking of jacking in my fulltime job and go to the bank to borrow some money and rent an office and go about promoting the business full time but its a big risk !!

Any ideas ??
http://www.jlnetsolutions.co.uk
Starting Out
Have you done your market research?

Any kind of SWOT analysis?

I suggest going back to the basics before pulling the trigger on some your ideas i.e loaning money.
Connector
Klint

You are not a web disegner yourself by any chance, or are you??? There is no need to be so aggressive or jealous and send the guy who only wnated to introduce himself to do the ******** SWOT analysis or market research! Lots of business here who whaven't done one and are absolutely fine!

www.opiumboutique.com
info [at] opiumboutique.com
Starting Out
Hi Nikita,

Nope, I'm not a web designer.

I didn't intend on coming across agressive or conscending on this member at all. I know I can be clinical at times, but don't let it phase you (or anyone).

Apologies if my last post came across like this.

Why I suggested the member does some kind of research is that competition in this industry is extremely fierce, I, like the author of the thread wants his business to succeed.

Having some idea of what hurdles are expected in the future is a positive thing, don't you think?

Connector
yes, I agree it's always a good idea to fid out abiut the market, competition etc. but talking about it there was a post some time ago when most new business actually admitted they haven't written a business plan or done SWOT analysis... =)

www.opiumboutique.com
Starting Out
Quote:
Originally posted by nikita
but talking about it there was a post some time ago when most new business actually admitted they haven't written a business plan or done SWOT analysis... =)
Really? I missed that post.

Interesting results, do you know where abouts that post is?

I think it'll make for some interesting reading.

I did a business plan + analysis along with some other stuff to assist me in remembering the direction I want to take my business.

The plans yielded some interesting results themselves, apart from that, I really started to truely understand my business concept only after I did this preliminary work.
Connector
so did I, Klint. But I remember there were few people who admitted they haven't written a business plan which usually involves all these, SWOT etc. have a search I am sure you will find it. Seems like you have high expections not just to yourself but to others as well...

www.opiumboutique.com
Starting Out
I agree Nikita to disagree as so to speak.

I'll have a search of that thread once I've posted this.

I don't have high expectations of anyone at the end of the day - it is up to the end user as to how far they go.

I was just making Lee aware of the things that can be done before going deep into his idea.

ah wells...
Thanks for the advice people !! Yes I understand that hosting is an extremely competitive market...But from talking to people just say joe public from what I can gather and from my own experience when I first started is the lack of from hosting companies and web designers is explaining things clearly to customers and how to set things up and how they work. And when you do need support you have to ring these premium rate numbers that can end up costing you a fortune.

I think that is an angle that would put me ahead of others in explaining how things work, what needs to be done... I have in place ready are dummies guides on how customers can set things up not to be patronising just in plain english so that even a computer novice can understand and its that, that I feel I have an edge over others....

My plan would be for a steady income from the hosting side of things.. Whereas with web design the work may dry up for a while and to rely on the income from hosting to get us over these patches..

LEE
http://www.jlnetsolutions.co.uk