This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Go Back   Shell LiveWIRE Discussion Forums > Shell LiveWIRE

Starting Out
Professional photographer or digital camera?

Hi,

This is a question for all of you who have online stores

I am starting up an online fashion store and was wondering how you take photos of you products. Do you own a digital camera and take the pictures of your products yourself or do you hire a professional? Those of you who do you a digital camera do the pictures look professional?

Cheers
Entrepreneur
I believe you can hire large format digital camera's which are of the type used by the fashion industry. This might be suitable for your purposes but in the long run my opinion would be a studio session would produce a more professional image for your products.

If you take the images yourself you'll need to be proficient in edition and publishing to make the most of them, this is a science in itself.
Connector
I would suggest that you go with a professional photographer. Its the only way to make sure that your products are shown to their full potential.

Of course you can do it yourself with a digital camera but the results will be nowhere near that of a professional.

I have a friend who recently found someone through her local college that runs a photography course to take photos of her products.

Hope it helps.

Jacqui
Connector
depends what your buudget is - but in fasshion appearance is everyhting so if you can get a pro. I have taken all my pics for my site using a dig camera and then touching them up a little in photoshop - but i am certainly no expert in either.

with photography you ureally need to get the lighting right - have the right kind of camera -
really know whats what.

Buut as i said it depends for trhe look youu want to achieve.

If you look at American Apparel's galleries they have a lot of shots taken on polaroid and shots which are deliberately taken in a raw format, because thats the look they want.
Maven
We use a digital SLR - got a Canon 350D shortly after it first came out. Best thing I ever bought, although you can get better DSLR's now (reasonably affordably)

If you are thinking about doing product photography, you need more than just a (good) camera. At the very least you need a tripod and decent lighting.

We use a small tent-thing (I forget what it's called) and a 300Watt stage light (or two, depending on what you're doing). The light-tent is used to give a plain white background, while diffusing the light so you don't get harsh shadows or reflections of surrounding things.

I quite like photography, but it can be a hassle to orchestrate sometimes if you want decent results.

I can take good photo's, but wouldn't for a second say that I am a professional. If something is really important to you, or you are photographing living things (people, children, pets) then get a pro, as they know how best to pose people.

Jim
Connector
I do all my own, and I don't have the best camera in the world, its a Mavica and only 1.2mp.

IMHO the finished picture is a mix of good focus, good lighting and good photo editing. I only have PSP9 to touch up my pics.

Some of my pictures are provided by the supplier but most are mine. It is time consuming, especially jewellery. I'm happy with mine however some may beg to differ :-).

Have a go at a few and get some opinions from here.

Belinda
www.pinkenvy.co.uk
Connector
Jim

Any chance you could let me know where to get or what exactly you meant about the lighting tent and lights you use - sounds like somethhing I might need.

appreciated

Cameron
Connector
Hi Cameron

Take a look in any of the Photography magazines on the newspaper stands and you can usually find stockists there or also 2nd hand ones too.

Jacqui
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by creacom
Hi Cameron

Take a look in any of the Photography magazines on the newspaper stands and you can usually find stockists there or also 2nd hand ones too.

Jacqui
you mean I have to go outside?lol
Connector
lol

I should have some copies at home so I will look out the web addresses for you !!

Jacqui
Maven
Quote:
Originally posted by cc123
Jim

Any chance you could let me know where to get or what exactly you meant about the lighting tent and lights you use - sounds like somethhing I might need.

appreciated

Cameron
No problem:-

Darn, the forum lost my post because I tried to upload an image.

I can't be bothered to retype it all again, so will be brief >;-(

Do an ebay seach for "light tent".

Basically it's a collapsible frame covered in white fabric. You put object inside, bright lights outside, point camera through side ... and bingo.

You need bright lights - pref freestanding stage lights, could use construction lights (like builders use in unfinished buildings). don't do what I first tried, which was to balance a halogen uplighter on a chair (almost torched my new light tent)
Starting Out
Thanks every1 for the advice, im going to get some quotes from some professionals
Guru
I took all the photographs for my website and struggled to get good quality photographs at first. In the end I took all of them outside as domestic lighting tended to casts a horrible brown muddiness. You just need to practice and find out which mode and setting is the most suitable. I then edited them in photoshop elements. ( if you don't have the budget for a pro ).

I got a leaflet the other day from Maplin electronics and they have a portable soft lighting studio ( similar to a light tent ) on offer for 12.99.
Connector
Hi Jim,

I make sure I buy from suppliers who provide high quality sales images. By far the best results for the least money but can prove restrictive at times. But remember your images have to be good as its the only medium apart from your copy to sell the item.

cheers,

mike
www.sophieandgrace.co.uk
designer lingerie
Connector
Yup, it's all in the lighting (and how you control it). Direct flash for product photography - no matter how good your camera is - just won't cut it.

The first three shots here were all taken with a single flashgun (and a bit of know-how! )

http://www.eagleimagery.co.uk/ph0t52.asp