This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Stationery-Direct.co.uk's Avatar Stationery-Direct.co.uk Stationery-Direct.co.uk is offline
Connector
Mobile Phone Masts

I have a friend who has a lot of land in the countryside, the reception for mobile phones in this and the surrounding area is terrible.

He has asked me if I know who to approach regarding erecting a mobile phone mast, from what I understand the mobile phone companies pay a lot of money for this.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Connector
Well yes they might do but he might come across a lot of opposition from the local council too ! That might be one of the reasons why the phone companies have not put one up already.

Jacqui
Stationery-Direct.co.uk's Avatar Stationery-Direct.co.uk Stationery-Direct.co.uk is offline
Connector
Thanks Jacqui

I don't know why anybody would object as he doesn't live near anybody and he has acres of land.
Basically not many people live near him and its such a quiet area that nobody would object.

Does anybody know who to approach to get the ball rolling, would it be by letter to say Orange head office?
Connector
Your friend shoudl try contacting each of the phoen companies, however the mobile phone companies are very proactive in this area and have many sites under planning permission and observation at any time.

You mentioned thta there weren't many people in the surrounding area, which is probably why the reception is so poor. The phone companies will focus their priority masts in areas of high population density, and where most people require a strong phone signal.

Therefore it wouldn't surprise me if the companies don't see it as a priority. Well worth a try though.

Cheers
Lee
Connector
As Lee said, if there is noone in the area that will be why they havent put a mast up already. Worth a try though.

Jacqui
Connector
Thanks guys.

The population within a 1 mile radius of where the mast could be situated is low, however, outside of this is some major towns which I presume could benefit from a stronger signal.

I will tell him to send a few letters.

Thanks
Connector
how do you know that the town doesnt already have a mast?
Connector
I live on the top of a hill on the edge of Cardiff. Right at the summit of said hill there's a massive water baloon on which they erected a mast. This water ballon is visable to most of Cardiff and is the highest point around here. I don't know alot about masts but I guess this was a strategic place to put it and justified the cost because there would be an uninterupted signal to most of Cardiff. So it must depend on the amount of people the mast will reach that determines whether they put one up. I think it was vodaphone that put the mast up. If your friend lives in a populated area it can't hurt to get a petition together or simply ask.

Another problem we have here is the type of brick the houses are made of. One of my mates said it was some crazy engineering brick or something and that is why he had bad signal even though he is closer to the mast than me. The problem with him is he is on a steep part of the hill and there are lots of houses between him and the mast.

Can't you get an amp type reciever which picks the faint signal from the air and amplifies it? If not then someone should think about it.
Connector
Thanks for all the input guys,

Good point ii3mhz, Im not sure, I think its best if he sends a few companies a letter to see what their response is. Im sure that they will have the answer to all the questions.

Thanks again.