This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Connector
Postage costs on Ebay and Websites

On ebay you find that alot of traders put up the postage fees to make it look like the product costs less.And make profit on postage costs.
Have you seen websites that do this or is it just ebay traders?

Do you think it would benefit websites to put up postage costs and lower product costs? To make it look like you have cheaper products and maybe attract more sales

Jon
Connector
It's deception. To me it's immoral and you will find alot of people will buy something because it looks cheap only to find they have been scammed on the postage. So if you have a go then expect some unhappy customers. It would benefit your pocket but not your customers.

Most websites I purchase from either have a freepost policy or charge £1-3 post & packaging.

Alot of customers say that the postage costs were the reason they chose us. If you have a service and product which will keep the customers coming back then you want ways to get them through the door. Sometimes I lose money if someone wants a very tiny amount of beads but it's OK because I'm certain they will return. This is what I charge for postage and I'm on ebay.

£0.30 + £0.05 Royal Mail 1st Class Standard 1 to 2 working days United Kingdom only
£0.45 + £0.08 Royal Mail Airmail Europe
£1.00 + £0.10 Royal Mail Airmail United States, Canada
Maven
With the large amount of people that sell on ebay now it is the sellers job to try and attract more attention to their auctions. One good way of this is by seriously low prices or a gallery picture.

When searching for an ebay item in most instances the buyer will usually go for the auction that shows the cheapest listing and sometimes not realising until they have bidded that the postage is more than they originally thought.

The majority of ebay buyers just look at the auction price and not the postage price where problems can occur. With having a low auction prices yet higher postage price this can even start to cause people to leave negative feedback.

Next time your on ebay take a long at how many sellers have items on sale for 1p and when you look closer the postage is something silly like 7.99
Guru
I hate high postage costs on ebay and always check them first to make sure I am not being ripped off.

£1.00 for a paperback book is OK, £2.50 for the same book is definitely NOT OK

www.onecost.co.uk Group Purchasing - getting the right price for the quality and service you need.
Connector
i always check the postage price, i can imagen some people get caught out with the postage.

"Make no small plans for they have no power to stir the soul." (Niccolo Machiavelli)

www.marveewoods.com
Marvee Woods Music
Talented songwriter