This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Connector
1st class signed for-rant

I recently sent two parcels to two different parts of the UK-both using First Class recorded signed for for customer piece of mind.

This was over 14 days ago. As usual I called the automated helpline to check if the parcels had been delivered and on all 5 occasions I called RM said the items had not been delivered. Fab.

So I kept calling, same answer from RM. So today I called one of my customers to see if the item had got to them safe and sound-and the answer-YES about week ago!

So what I want to know is, whats the point in me sending items with the 1st class SIGNED for service is RM do not obtain a signature at the other end? I don't want to charge my customers for a service RM won't be giving them!!!

I called RM back (just for fun) and yes, still no confirmation as the parcels "have not been signed for yet" and the lovely lady on the phone even told me the items were offically classed as Delayed! Yay.

Anyone else had a similar issue? I know 1st class sign for doesn't garentee prompt service etc but I was under the impression they'd at least obtain a signature. Am I wrong? If so what does "Signed for" mean?!

Okay, rant over.

Princess

serenegoddess (@) hotmail.co.uk
Entrepreneur
TBH in my experience, signed for means nothing. I regulary buy things from ebay that come recorded and if they fit, it will be (sometimes squashed) through the letterbox. Signed for is only usefull if your package is too big to fit through the postbox.
Connector
Yes! Don't get me started.....having sent many small packages both internationally as well as nationally with Royal snail I came to the conclusion they are no good! Now I pay silly money to DHL...but it gets there!
Connector
Agreed - Recorded Deliver (or Signed For or whatever you want to call it) means absolutely nothing.

If anything, it's merely an indication to the postman that there *may* be something worth stealing inside the envelope/package.
Connector
okay...

I'm now offically scared of using RM services. Customers ask for this service as it offers piece of mind.

For those of you who have used it and no longer wish to pay RM for such a dodgy service, what do you use now?

Princess

Connector
Princess,
I'm sick of RM too, having lost items of 1st class mail time and time again and recorded seems to make no difference.

Whenever they release their figures praising themselves on how well they're doing it makes me mad, but I was somewhat appeased last week when I heard that Postwatch are slapping a big fine on them for being rubbish!

I've had difficulty finding a service that's as cost effective for someone like me who only sends a few items a day.
All the alternatives seem expensive in comparison (or require large amounts to make them cost effective) but I'm hoping something turns up during the year especially since RM are changing their pricing structure and it's really going to affect me.

Ali
Connector
Aw Alison we should form a union..

I read about the nice little fine RM were getting too-made me laugh

Will the pricing structure cause you big problems? Saying that I havn't checked exactly how much it will effect me!

Princess

Guru
You should try and claim off them, I bought something off ebay which didn't work, I sent it back to Hong Kong to get a replacement, never arrived, so i filled in a claims form and got a cheque for 30! the item i sent wan't even recorded delivery!
Starting Out
Hi princess

Well i actually work for Royal Mail and its things like what you have said what makes up part of Royal mails 'lost mail' figure because that postman has been too lazy to knock on the door.

When somebody pays an extra 0.65 for that service then that is the service they should get.
You should claim a refund for the 0.65 - i know it doesn't seem much but its the principle of the matter.
You can claim it via the website so it shouldn't actually cost you anything as the procudure should be carried out via e-mails.

At least that way it would keep the lost amount of items down because the item was delivered and then they can work on trying to solve the problems associated with that service.

The website address is www.royalmail.com
Connector
I have managed to get refunds of up to 30 when things have been lost, but regardless of this, it's the hassle involved that's annoying.

The new pricing structure is pants for me! I send things 1st class and it's changing so that they will charge for size of packages rather than the weight. A lampshade is very lightweight, but bulky so I'm stuffed!
I have heard that standard parcels and special delivery will not be affected, but noone in my post office can confirm this for me and I can't see it written on the website anywhere.

So one big GRRRRR to Royal Mail from me!

(i feel a little better for that little rant!)
Connector
Ah yes the wonderful Royal Mail, several times I have had my own parcels delivered back to me because they were deilivering to my return address which is on a small sticker on the back instead of to the sender address in big letters on the front, surely they can tell which is which??!!! And when my customers phone up to ask where their orders are it's me who has to explain that the idiots at the post office decided to deliver it to me instead!! I know my postie (she's a lady can't call her postman!) quite well cos she knocks on my door most days and she's brilliant, can't fault her at all but as for the company she works for, completely useless.
I've used Business Post in the past who were good but as most my parcels don't weigh much it works out really expensive.

Sarah
Connector
Ah that explains your previous post then lol.

Princess

Connector
I think RM offer a lame service on recorded/sgined for as they want to steer you to speical delivery, which is expensive but good.

I have had endless problems with recorded/signed for, but special delivery does what it says 100%, its also timed so you know what time it will get there, these have to have a signature and are trackable usually after noon.

Anyone have any bad news about special delivery ?

Its a shame they do not have any competition for letter/small package delivery, its just to expensive to set-up the network they have got to make it worthwhile for a new business to enter into the letter/small package delivery business in my opinion, but i would support a company 100% that did this.

Oh and i almost forgot to mention, once when i was out and the RM delivered signed for items, they actually put them in the wheelie bin, (for safe keeping?) it was not until late that night when i took the kichen bin out that i found them, if they left a note that would have been ok
Connector
Quote:
Anyone have any bad news about special delivery ?
Yes, plenty!

I'd say our "problem" rate is approx 1 in 10. A problem ranges from:

- physical damage (despite very very good packing)

- late (after 1pm)

- mis-sort resulting in package being sent to wrong end of the country, introducing a one day delay

- not leaving a card for the addressee when it's been left with a neighbour or taken back to the delivery office

- delivery at the wrong address (eg 12 Cheese Street instead of 12 Cheese Avenue)

I understand that mistakes are made, hell I make enough of them, but the real gripe that I have with Special Delivery is the way complaints are handled. You pay a huge premium for a mega service, but you ultimately end up with the same complaints procedure/service as everybody else. And the RM staff mostly just say "yeah you need to get a form from the Post Office and send it in". There are some great staff there, but you only get to speak to them every leap year.

I've lost count of the number of times I have had to call a local delivery office after having spoken to RM customer services. Why should I have to do it? Many local delivery offices close at lunchtime (mine does) so by the time a S/Delivery is late (ie 1.01pm), the delivery office has closed and you end up listening to a telephone tone for ages and you end up not being able to give the customer any useful information.

Rant over.
Connector
I think we should forward this post to Postwatch and Royal Mail to show how small businesses are affected - they only seem to care about the big businesses who get a better service anyway.

Mailorder: I agree, we need a viable alternative, there are soooo many couriers for heavy items, but absolutely diddy squat of an alternative for small packets and letters.