This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Handcrafted Jewellery -parties?

Hi! My name is Charlotte and i'm currently at uni. I design and make jewellery (predominantly charm bracelets). At the moment i'm selling some jewellery through my ebay store Jewels by Charlotte, however when I finish uni in over a years time I want to make and sell my jewellery full time. I'm using this time to research and would really value any advice anyone has relating to what I want to do.

Also, has anyone been to a jewellery party? cos i'd love to know exactly what happened, whether there were games (examples), what forms of payment were excepted, etc.

Thanks!
Connector
I went to a jewellery party once-it was pants. You had to pay for refreshments and all you did was look at the jewellery. The took cash only and the leaflets were cheap and tacky and I will never go to one of their parties again.

Do you plan to have an online shop or retail unit on the high street etc?

Princess

serenegoddess (@) hotmail.co.uk
I'm not planning on opening an actual shop on the highstreet to begin with because of the overheads, so I will try to expand ebay, need to set up a proper website (when i get to that i'm sure i'll be posting alot for help) and will try to sell offline to shops, at fairs, etc. I'm basically looking into every way of selling other than setting up my own bricks and mortar shop (hence the jewellery party interest) so that I have plenty to draw on when i start. Any ideas welcome!
Connector
There's loads of room for improvment at the parties I've been to. It's good to do it in someones house because then you can get the drinks flowing and the ice broken between whoever is attending. The last one I went to hardly anyone had any money, so they didn't sell that much but they all managed to turn up with enough booze to tranqualize some sort of large animal. Strange I know. Maybe they thought it was a pissup. Who knows.

Ebay is supposed to be quite slow for handcrafted jewellery sales. The sooner you get a website the better. Fairs are also quite rough for sales I heard too.Girly parties and web sales is what I would concentrate on. Can't hurt to just try all the ideas you can think of and measure the results for yourself, like a science experiment.

Good Luck in uni and in business.
Connector
I think parties are good but I really see the way forward for parties is to be able to link in with other businesses. Not too many for obvious spend ratio reasons but if you could partner with someone who does body care and another who does handbags I think that would round it off nicely. Even better if they were also handcrafted.

HTH
Belinda
www.pinkenvy.co.uk
Starting Out
Hi Charlotte,

I have attended a recent Jewellery party.

It was great, the product was fantastic & well priced, the host provided free hot & cold drinks and wine (it was frezzing outside!) & nibbles.

There were no games, but background music was played (classical) and all guests were properly introduced & made to feel welcome.

It was a relaxed and friendly environment. Most people (including myself) bought at least 2 pieces of jewellery.

I think if you create the right environment, make your guests relaxed and let your guests take thier time & suggest the type of outfits that each piece would go with, it should go well.

Oh, yes...payment was cash or cheque with a guarentee card.

Hope this helps,

If you need models for your catalogue, let me know, lots of my models would be happy to do it for a copy of the photos.

Destiny xx

Dancers - Models - Actors...T.V, Film, Catalogue, Commercials, Corporate Events, Fashion Shows, Parties etc.. - www.utm.org.uk - email: info@utm.org.uk

Young Talent Online Magazine - for aspiring dancers, models, actors and singers. - www.youngtalent.org.uk

Itgirl World Online magazine - for girls who want to live a celebrity lifestyle - www.itgirlworld.co.uk
Maven
Hi,
I also make jewellery and sell on ebay.....basically looking at doing the same as you and setting up a site, plus selling at craft fairs etc.
Would be happy to help with anything....email me at emmafreudenberg@yahoo.co.uk
I'm sure we can help each other out,
Emma
Hey! Thanks everyone, thats been really helpful! I probably be posting quite a bit over the next few months so look out! thanks again, charlotte
Hey! Thanks everyone, thats been really helpful! I probably be posting quite a bit over the next few months so look out! thanks again, charlotte