This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

any tips/ideas?

Hello,

I have been a long-time watcher of this forum, and have found it a great resource for information!

I have just started my first business (Sign and Smile) in between studying at Uni during my second year. I'm contacting you for your opinions on my business as I think you can never have too many points of view!

I have created a CD-ROM that gives parents an introduction to baby signing, and gives them the resources needed to teach it to their child. In brief, baby signing uses sign language as a way of communicating with children before they talk, so they can simply communicate concepts such as 'more', 'I'm hungry' or 'I can see a dog!' to their parent. It is a system that is based on years of research and there are many classes throughout the U.K. and America that teach thousands of mothers and babies to sign. I won't go in to all the details of it here, but research shows that many signing babies gain greater language skills and in many cases it helps them learn to talk at an earlier age. If you want to find out more, there's a good article on the BBC website - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education...es/2299895.stm

Anyway - back to my CD-ROM! I have created the CD-ROM and my website (www.signandsmile.co.uk) on a shoe-string £500 budget (the woes of student life!), and I'm looking to promote my product over the web in order to gradually build up sales. What would you guys recommend as the best and most cost effective way to do this? I will be trying to create my own press release, and I am thinking of printing my own leaflets to drop round mother and baby groups etc. Any other ideas, criticisms or brainwaves are more than welcome! Any opinions (good or not so good!) on my website are also welcome!

Many thanks!
Simon
Connector
What a fab product!

Friends of ours are starting to teach their youngster baby-sign and it is a lot of fun (although he was too little when we last saw him)

Online networking, banner adverts, samples, creating a newsletter, a blog (weekly release of a new sign etc and discussion of methods used...) will all help with your exposure.

I have a few contacts for you that you may wish to explore.
Feel free to email me to discuss this further.

Business Consultancy @ Inzvestor
Connector
I think you should approach game retailers, mothercare, toysrus etc to see if they will stock your item.

Regards
Connector
And also you may want to find out about advertising on mother and baby forums and some parenting forums like www.ivillage.co.uk and if you product is good word goes round quickly on the forums
Entrepreneur
I think it's a brilliant idea and I really like your website. My sister has little twins and she is quite into that sort of thing - it's very trendy in the mum world at the moment apparently!

I'd definitely send a press release to all Mum & Baby magazines. Or give a copy of the DVD to a couple of new mums and ask them to submit an article about it - it might sound better from a mums point of view than the sellers. My sister has had a few articles published and would kindly oblige!

Good luck with it though....
Many thanks for all your help, you have been very supportive! I shall definitely look in to forum advertising as this seems like a great opportunity to hit my target market.

Out of interest, have any of you had much experience with google adwords? I am thinking about doing this, but dont really want to spend more than £2 a day... but the PPC to get me at the no.1 spots for my keywords is about 15-20p.... thus meaning I dont get many clicks for my £2!
Maven
Adwords can be great and with such a specific product, as long as you make it clear in your ad exactly what is at the other end of the click, you should get a good conversion to sale rate.

So, start off with your £60 a month. If sales ARE good, you'll soon have the money to up your adword budget....and sell more CDs....and up the budget....and sell more CDs and so on.

Your words are actually pretty cheap. I have to pay around 40-60p for mine and have a low conversion rate from clickthroughs, but the package I sell is £200, so if I only do a couple a month I am very happy with the results.

One of my clients has a word cost of £9 would you believe, but still worth doing.

Try it and see, take some time to fiddle with it and try lots of combinations of words and ads...you'll soon see which ones are getting you the best value results.
Connector
Yeah I think i'll be doing AdWords too. You should do it, seems good to me.