This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Registering an internet hosting biz

Is it possible for someone under 18 to register a hosting biz legaly? I've looked around but found nothing

Thanks
Connector
How do you mean 'register' a hosting biz? I take it that you want to set up a hosting company and register with companies house?

Craig
I would like to find out how to register a busines legaly..
Connector
If you are just wanting to run a business as a sole trader then you do not need to register. You just need to make sure that you inform your local Inland Revenue office that you are setting up as a business within 3 months of starting. This is to ensure they know what is going on tax wise. The minimum age for this is 16 unless your parent or guardian runs the business on your behalf. The trouble with running the business as a sole trader is that the business's money is your money and vice-versa so if you fall into financial difficulties then this will involve your private cash. Even if you are under 18 you still need to get your parents to sign contracts etc, at least that is what the business advisor told me.

Another option is to set up a limited company eg. Your Business Name Limited. I think this is what your after so do a search on the forum and find out more about this. Acording to BCentral:

"There is no minimum age limit in the Companies Acts ( the Companies Act 1985 and the Companies Act 1989 ) for a director to be appointed in England and Wales, but someone must be able to consent to their appointment."

Although, if you live im Scotland then the minimjm age you are required to be by law is 16.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Craig Bell
So... will I still be charged tax? don't suppose you could link me to info about the "limited" company?

thanks
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by E3000
So... will I still be charged tax? don't suppose you could link me to info about the "limited" company?

thanks
Two things are certain in life, ones death and the other is tax! If i were you I'd go to your local business link, they will advise you in your position.

I'm 18 and went on a chamber of commerce course a few months ago, and there was also a 16 year old there, so the chamber obviously will let you go on the course, definately worth checking out.