This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Maven
Totally confused!Please help!!

Hi everyone,

After playing with the idea of working from home, Ive finally had no choice but to go for it due to health problems.
I've spent the last 3 months researching and decided to combine and use all my skills. I will be a sole trader but I will have more than 1 business going.My first will be have an online translation service but I will also be a freelance travel writer too.I also have other plans which will start towards the end of the year which will also involve websites.
How does this work as far as registering my work? Do I register under a name which covers them all?

Also, how on earth do I work out what to charge people for advertising on a website?? Whats the best way to go about approaching potential advertisers?

Any advice will be much appreciated! Thanks,

Anja
Connector
I am not fully sure what you mean by registering.

You can trade under different names but chances are all the work you will do will be for one "company" or "business" and that is you - Anja.

You provide different services, translation, writing and webdesign.

As for prices, pick a price you want or need then see if people will pay it. See if the market accepts it.

Vending Solutions from Vendesent.co.uk
Entrepreneur
Hi Anja,

I'm in a similar position in that I offer services (mainly freelance writing, but also website design etc) through a few different websites. We registered one business name, and on the other websites just use a short statement saying, for example, "Hot Igloo Productions Ltd. trading as WritingWorld.org". I believe you can also do this as a sole trader, in which case you're simply your own name "trading as" the name of the website.

As far as charging for advertising on a website goes, it will depend very much on the volume of traffic you're getting to that site. I think the best thing to do would be to look at websites which aim at a similar market to yours and find out how much they're charging.

Hope this helps a little.
Amber

Custom-Copy.com
A professional copywriting service for small businesses.
Guru
I would imagine your sites won't get much traffic in the beginning so it will be hard to get people to pay to run ads, you could always use google adsense and you will get a google ad on your site and money every time people click on it.

Once your site is more established you could then offer proper banner ads etc, by then you will know what traffic you are getting etc

Good luck
Maven
Thanks everyone! im a little less confused now! Thanks for all the great advice! The google thing is definately worth looking into!

Anja
Maven
Amber,

I've just checked out your website, its great! I will definately be signing up!

Anja