This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Go Back   Shell LiveWIRE Discussion Forums > Shell LiveWIRE

Entrepreneur
Where do I start in producing a hair care range?

Hi guys and gals

Happy New Year!

Please can you help me? I wanna produce a hair care range for ethnic hair but am a little confused as to where to start.

I have so many ideas and much enthusiasm but cannot articulate them well at this stage.If you can answer one or even ALL of my queries below I would be truly grateful.

1. Do I spend a lot of time on the market research and see if there is a market first before getting the product developed.

2. If I do carry out Market research first and then get the product made and the product is not "stable" in that form thus needing a big rethink - then what?

3. Does anybody know of a decent contract manufacturer of such products?

4. Does anybody know where I can find a market research conpany that is good and has experience of consumerism in terms of the ethnic community?

5. Does anybody know of a chemist (industrial) with experience in this field or know where to find one who will be able to advise?

6. Does anybody know of a good mentor who will be prepared to advise me. I am based in the South London area?

Thankyou in Advance...........
Connector
the first hurdle I would say is that thru concept-market research-product development-production-testing-packaging-marketing etc, you are looking at 200K minimum,

if you have that finance, you can move on to step 1

Free Business Advertising | UK Business Directory
Local Business Directory | UK Business Directory | Free PC Tools
Lifetime Links | Cooking Recipes | Dessert recipes | 10,000 directories
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by musicman
sounds like quite a task.........did yous ee that programm make me a million - it was called something liek that, one of the peopel was setting upa nd launchinga childrens shampoo range..it was loads of work for them..and took loads of money....
Hi,

We interviewd Leila Wilcox, winner of Make Me A Million, for issue 4 of YEM (out 1st Feb). It was hard work for them put they perservered and now have their products in most supermarkets.

The very very first thing you need to do is market research. Get out on the streets and ask people. When interiewing Leila, she said she spent weeks out on the streets with a clipboard, that this was the worst part of it all, but also that she found out vital information about what people wanted.

MArket research is the most important, and you wont spend too much money doing it, therefore if there is no need for your product, at least you wont have put a lot of money down

Hope this helps

YE Magazine is a fantastic tool for dynamic small to medium businesses across the North West and Yorkshire & Humber. For both new business start ups and growing businesses across the region, YE Magazine provides a range of benefits, including:

- Access to funding for your business
- Up-to-date information that affects your business
- Full listing of business exhibitions, workshops and networking events in your area
- Exclusive interviews with inspirational entrepreneurs from across your region.
Connector
Hi,

Agree you need to market reseach both the end user and also hairdressers assuming you want to sell via hairdressers and market it on a professional level rather than as a FMCG via supermarkets.

You might do well to visit the Afro Hair Show, details here: http://www.exhibitions.co.uk/xnet12.html#Beauty

If you are not a haridresser I would suggest spending time working in one to understand hair and then research hair care products and each ingredient. For info on manafacturers look here: http://databases.cosmeticsbusiness.com/suppliers/
for further info on the cosmetics regulations visit:http://www.ctpa.org.uk/home.asp Hair products are a cosmetic and you will need to abide by a range of regualtions however your manufacturer should be up to date on all these.
The CTPA can also provide lists of chemists and manufactuers so worth emailing them.

HTH, all the best.
Belinda
www.pinkenvy.co.uk