This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Help with dissertation

Hi

I am a final year university student studying for a BA (Hons) Marketing degree. For my dissertation I am looking into the relationships that purchasers of new cars have with both the manufacturer of the car and also the dealer. To help me with collecting the opinions of new car purchasers, I have set up a website that contains a survey available at www.ispcarsurvey.co.uk

The survey is completely confidential and the results are being used solely for my university work. I am also only looking at this from the perspective of private purchasers and not business or lease car buyers.

If you can, please have a look at my website and if you know of anyone who has purchased a brand new car in the past 5 years, I would be grateful if you could pass the details onto them.

Many thanks,

Chris
www.ispcarsurvey.co.uk
Connector
Not sure what this has to to with business but the link in the middle of your post is wrong - it has a . (dot) added to the end so it is not working.

DN
Thanks for letting me know.

Realise that it isn't business related but came across this forum as i've been thinking of starting an online business and thought some of the members may have purchased a new car.

Hope this is ok...
Entrepreneur
Hi

Even if you only use this survey information for your uni work, you do need to look up and familiarise yourself with the data protection act.

More importantly ... if you intend to start up in business - this information is of vital importance!

Your survey contains very personal information (namely postcode) that is of great value to companies seeking potential customers and your survey participants need to be assured that the information they submit to you is not going to be abused by you or any other individual.

I wish you all the very best with your dissertation ...... go WOW the examination board with your knowledge of Customer privacy as well

All About Data Protection
Thanks for the link and the feedback Ruthierhyme.

I am aware of this and do state that the data will only be used for my dissertation. As people are wary of providing information over the internet, I have tried to limit the number of questions that are personal. This is why the email address is optional for example.

The reason I decided to keep the postcode in is for analysis, as it's very helpful if I get enough respondants that I can segment them into different categories (such as ACORN classifications).

As part of my research methodology I have to prove that I followed all data protection regulations as well.

Thanks again
Entrepreneur
Quote:
originally posted by ispcarsurvey
I am aware of this and do state that the data will only be used for my dissertation.
Trouble is, your visitors to the site may not be aware that you are aware!!......and you do not say what will happen to the information once its use for you had expired !
I wouldnt offer my details to a site that didnt show me some form of customer reassurance, in that they were aware and complied with the DPA ;- all thats needed is a terms/privacy policy page outlining your intentions and knowledge of the regulations. In itself this would be the proof of compliance necessary for your dissertation and valued online participants!
Ive no doubt of your honourable intentions (especially because of this conversation!) but not enough importance is put on explaining to people their rights with regards to their data.

Your site is very clear and concisely laid out and I do wish you the best of luck with it.
I have posted the link for my website on numerous car forums and on one in particular, a couple of the members have expressed they were worried about what i would use the data for.

Think I'll try and get a T&C's page created over the weekend and have a clear link in the survey, where a pop-up box will come up, though I am always quite wary of these as I always think the website has something to hide in all the text.

Do you think it would be ok just to do a brief outline of this in saying that the data is used solely for the research in my dissertation and used in accordance with the DPA. In no way will your data be used for any 3rd parties.

Thanks again for your advice
Entrepreneur
A T&Cs or short privacy page would be brilliant . Just be honest. Let your visitors know what you plan to do with the immediate and future use of their information.

These are the principals of compliance and a short sentence that applies to your situation should be enough to assure visitors that you are honest in intention and will carry out what you state Then if they decide to try it on you are covered as well !

1. process personal data fairly and lawfully.
2. obtain personal data only for one or more specified and lawful purposes and to ensure that such data is not processed in a manner which is incompatible with the purpose or purposes for which it was obtained.
3. ensure that personal data is adequate, relevant and not excessive for the purpose or purposes for which it is held.
4. ensure that personal data is accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date.
5. ensure that personal data is not kept for any longer than is necessary for the purpose for which it was obtained.
6. process personal data in accordance with the rights of the individuals to whom the information relates.
7. ensure that personal data is kept secure.
8. ensure that personal data is not transferred to a country outside the European Economic Area unless the country to which the information is to be sent ensures an adequate level of protection for the rights (in relation to the information) of the individuals to whom the personal data relates.

Copied from HERE

On point 8 if you did ever intend to look at transferring data overseas you could check out Safe Harbor details Safe Harbor

Hope this helps..
Thank you very much Ruthierhyme.

This is really helpful and I'll use this for my T&C's page that I'll do over the weekend.

Cheers
Chris