This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Creating a website

Hey,
I'm looking at creating my own website (no bugget to pay anyone at present) and need some help on how to go about doing it. First of all I suppose I need some one to host it. Can anyone recommend a good ISP for this? Also, I need to do the design and then create the pages. What software and book's do or have you used to help with this part.

Any help much appreciated

D
Connector
Hi,

I learnt Dreamweaver by buying a few books and reading them over and over again, to get use to the basics.

Also I ask my mate abit about it since he was a web designer.
Lets be friends
http://www.facebook.com/degrafik
Are template websites any good??
Connector
I don't really know, but I wouldn't use them, I'd design my own. It's unique then from the rest.
Lets be friends
http://www.facebook.com/degrafik
Connector
Template sites are not bad actually if you are starting from scratch. The better ones like www.templatemonster.com provide the full PSD and coded versions so you just add your content. It's a reasonable way to learn as well.

Once you get a bit more experience you can start to dig into the code to see how it works and make your own but for a quick fix, a template is an idea...

Invest in a good book as well. "HTML for dummies" is not as patronising as it sounds and will give you a solid understanding.

There are a gazillion hosting companies out there, I'm one of them, but make sure you go for one that isn't so cheap it can't be true (as it normally isn't ), that has a telephone support line that someone actually answers and can back up their services with solid testimonials.

Finally subscribe to forums such as www.webmasterworld.com or www.webmaster-forums.net as they will be able to offer you masses of free advice and support...
Guru
I have been using 1&1 Internet Ltd as a hosting provider and I have been very satisfied with the cost as well as the level of service provided.

www.1and1.co.uk
Connector
I use open mind to host my website and find that phil's services are fabulous value for money, provide excellent support and of course provides brilliant customer service!!

As for designing your website...I did mine myself (at the moment its under constrution ) I bought myself a 'for dummies' 9in1 book that had info on frontpage, dreamweaver ect it was about £20 in pc world
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by Rachael
I use open mind to host my website and find that phil's services are fabulous value for money, provide excellent support and of course provides brilliant customer service!!

As for designing your website...I did mine myself (at the moment its under constrution ) I bought myself a 'for dummies' 9in1 book that had info on frontpage, dreamweaver ect it was about £20 in pc world
Rach you need to change your sig code, you've got yr email mailto on a web link

-----
Email/PM me for link exchanges on the above sites
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by BEN
Rach you need to change your sig code, you've got yr email mailto on a web link
indeed I do
Thanks for all your replys people. I'll go buy me a dummies book then!! Watch this space!...................
Thanks for all your replys people. I'll go buy me a dummies book then!! Watch this space!...................
Starting Out
Yeah, I'd agree, just get a book and start playing! It'll take a while to get it, but stick at it. Once you start putting something together, feel free to email me for some free advice/opinions, or post up here for some.

If your needing an ISP as well as a host, I would recommend Force9 (www.force9.co.uk). I've been using them for years and would say they have very good prices and exceptional services and support. They also have a wide range of services available.

Good luck!
Free no obligation quotes available.
www.f5webdesign.co.uk
info@f5webdesign.co.uk
Maven
Starting from scratch isn't always the cheapest option, as it can take quite some time to learn even the fundamentals of web design, and make your site look professional. If this is a route you want to take, one of the best tutorials you'll find is free and available at http://www.w3schools.com. It's got step by step tutorials and is laid out in plain english for you.

As someone who is new to web design, something you may want to consider is a content management system. Content management systems are professionally designed websites that allow you to add and edit your own content through an inbuilt admin area, and require no special technical knowledge, apart from knowing how to type! Content Management systems (or CMS for short) can be very good value for money, especially if you're on a tight budget.

If you'd be interested in discussing this further, please feel free to drop me a line and I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

Sarah
Connector
Books are great.

You know, anyone can fix a car with a Haynes Manual... But it's still a Professional Mechanic who checks for problems and gives it an MOT .

The difference isn't so big from have-a-go web designers, who may be able to "do it", but a professional Web Designer / Programmer will make you the McLaren F1 of websites.

Just reading a few posts in this thread kind of proves this.