This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

setting up a cafe/catering question

Hi

I just wondered if any one has any idea about how to cost the start up of a new cafe - i have to put in a new small kitchen, buy tables chairs plates equiptment etc, and I have no idea of even a rough price - I was thinking £10'000 for a kitchen and £15000 for all the furnishings. I just wondered if any one has any expereince of this or could point me in the right direction. Thanks
Connector
Presuming you have a unit or space to work within already, you should start by making a list of all the equipment you require; fridge, freezer, oven, utensils, plates, cutlery etc.. then look at 2 or 3 websites that sell this equipment and get an 'average' cost for each for the quality and type you like.

You will then be able to see how much its likely to cost, plus if the total is out of budget you can quickly see what items are costing you what, and cut-back on certain things.

I think pointing your finger in the air and purely guessing at a cost is very dangerous and won't put you in good stead for the future.
Connector
<treads carefully>

When I sell a hot food vending machine using a comparison to the cost of setting up a work place kitchen, our research suggests a cost of around £20k is not that much.

Second hand equipment, scrimping and saving etc can bring this down of course but then some big kitchens can cost more like £100,000.

Don't forget even things like 4 different colour chopping boards for meat, fish, cooked meat etc can all add a fair few pounds to the cost.

Vending Solutions from Vendesent.co.uk
Entrepreneur
Depends on the size of the place you are trying to kit out, also to what style/standard you want it.

How many covers are you looking at? Are you prepared to source secondhand equipment?

For kitchen equipment have a look at http://www.alexanders-direct.co.uk/a...g/cooking.html or http://www.cateringdirectuk.com/ebst...uct_finder.asp

Then have a look for some furniture that you would be interested in, just google it. Maybe enquire at http://www.laytrad.co.uk/index.htm

Should give you some idea of what it will cost if you know what you need, even if you don't know exactly what you want.

Will