This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Starting Out
Domain ownership change

Please can anyone advise.

Our webdesigner from whom we also purchased our domain name is advising that the since he registered our domain name in with his company details that to change the details over to ours will cost £55.

Is this correct?

David
Connector
Hi,

If he used a actual domain company chances are with a click of a button he could change all the whois details himself, which doesn't cost, for example www.namecheap.com you have complete control over the domain through a control panel.

Regards
Brett White
Adventures in Creative Design
Starting Out
Marginex,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Our webdesigner has said in addition to the £55+VAT, The legislating body for uk domain names have made changes to their system and so along with the charge I need a confirmatory letter.
Is this correct?

We are looking to purchase the .com but, most sites you have to have their banners or also purchase their hosting package ie Easyspace. Is there a site where I can buy the lease on the .com without the add ons?

David
Connector
For an offical change of ownership for a co.uk domain is £35 i believe. Not sure of other TLDs?

This is not a simple click and requires forms and signatures
Starting Out
Quote:
Originally posted by BizNess
For an offical change of ownership for a co.uk domain is £35 i believe. Not sure of other TLDs?

This is not a simple click and requires forms and signatures
Does this charge still apply if the webdesigner is leasing the domain name for an ISP?

We are looking to purchase the .com but, without banners or having to purchase hosting package ie Easyspace?

David
Banned
Hi there,

If you wish to change the ownership details (who-is) of the domain you will have to contact Nominet (like BizNess said) and request a transfer of ownership form. Both parties (current owner & new owner) need to complete certain pages and return it to Nominet with a cheque of £35 (£30+VAT). There is a quicker route which costs nothing but this would mean your designer would have to have his own TAG and access to the Automon system, by the sounds of things he hasnt and has used a company (Easyspace).

As for the banner issue. Easyspace are notoriously expensive for any "add-on" services, one of which is the banner removal which costs something ridiculous like £50 per year! Don't pay it!!

If I was you I would sign-up with 123-reg (www.123-reg.co.uk) and transfer your current domain over to them. They are currently transferring domains in for FREE, this usually costs around £10 (with 123-reg).

To be honest the domain should have been reg'd in your name from the start if you paid for it. If so, the designer should pay for the ownership to be changed.

Hope this helps.

Regards

JG
Connector
I'd also like to add.

That is he purchased the Domain on behalf of you, should it really be in his name at all? ... Should the costs be passed onto you from what seems like his/there mistake?
Connector
Rassic

You are being taken for a ride here...

Give us a call on 0845 108 0411 we register domains for our clients on a daily basis and transfer and maintain domain records just as frequently.

The fees you are talking about sound excessive. In fact if what i understand from your query is correct there should be NO Fees to pay, our team can advise for free....

Easyspace banners etc are there becuase your designer is using free space not paying for hosting. Sounds like he is trying it on.

Call 0845 108 0411 and one of our guys will answer any queries you may have.

Regards

James
A4 Internet ltd
www.a4internet.com