This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Advertising

Will digital advertising ever replace traditional advertising?

As a partner at an ad agency called The Creative Rebellion I'm interested to find out what the general consensus is...
Connector
If it did then that might stop all the bloody phone calls trying to sell me 1sq.cm in a retirees jml-type catalog for £1,000,000.......

Installation, sales and consultancy for home-cinema, multi-room sound and corporate AV.

- Gear 7 on Facebook
- Gear 7 on Twitter
Connector
....on a serious note, though, the tangible metrics for exposure vs conversion that online advertising provides are (IMHO) embarassing enough to most marketing departments that they'll continue to push offline media. Whether one is better than the other in anyway....hard to say. Having those metrics should be useful for the improvement of online and offline advertising - it's still humans viewing, after all.

Installation, sales and consultancy for home-cinema, multi-room sound and corporate AV.

- Gear 7 on Facebook
- Gear 7 on Twitter
Guru
depends on the product.....

I still think the most powerful advertising is what you see when your out, not pop ups, facebook links......I havent heard anyone say "oooooooooooooooooh this advert popped up on my profile last night", and seen them regale the masses with a tale of a pop up.

I do however hear "simples" and people bemoaning the opera man emerging from the sea talking about insurance...or in london when you get a mobile phone in the taxi and can make free calls, or anything that makes the front page of the metro - that's advertising that works as people will discuss it in work as they have had a shared experience.

I do like jason donovan in those iceland adverts though.....
Connector
I think advertising in general has taken a huge dip as businesses tighten their belts - however some forms more than others - these days you can negotiate up to 90% off rate cards for mags and papers, especially just before a deadline. More magazine often call me immediately before the deadline offering 1/6 or 1/8 of a page for as little as £200!

You can now advertise on ITV1 for as little as £1500 (which we are currently doing) and strategically places ads with media agencies (those screen you see in hairdressers and hospitals) can be very effective if used correctly - like for example as a product for big boobed women, we might stegically place ads on screens in cosmetic surgey clinics.

I would say, look at what your ad costs, and look at how many units you need to sell to cover the cost of it - then ask yourself if you think the return is feasible.

http://www.missfituk.com

Connector
It's just another outlet - just like TV was in the 60s. Print has certainly suffered, but I don't think it'll disappear altogether.
Starting Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by missfituk View Post
I think advertising in general has taken a huge dip as businesses tighten their belts - however some forms more than others - these days you can negotiate up to 90% off rate cards for mags and papers, especially just before a deadline. More magazine often call me immediately before the deadline offering 1/6 or 1/8 of a page for as little as £200!

You can now advertise on ITV1 for as little as £1500 (which we are currently doing) and strategically places ads with media agencies (those screen you see in hairdressers and hospitals) can be very effective if used correctly - like for example as a product for big boobed women, we might stegically place ads on screens in cosmetic surgey clinics.

I would say, look at what your ad costs, and look at how many units you need to sell to cover the cost of it - then ask yourself if you think the return is feasible.
I agree with you; small businesses can certainly take advantage of the current situation with print sales. But for small businesses on a budget it's about ROI. If I place an ad for £200 but don't receive one sale from it then was it really worth it? The thing about print advertising is that its hard to measure its success unless its
significant. Also, I think that PR is the new advertising; having your product or service recommended in a publication does more for building brand awareness and potentially generating sales than an ad.

Tags
advertising, digital, the creative rebellion, traditional