This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Starting a New Business :o

Dear All,
I have some questions...I want to run my own fashion clothing business- just say for this example it is just Dresses- so if I aim to set up my own label
(with the hope to interest large department stores to stock my brand in the future...)
I obviously need to get the dresses made cheap. I.e.: In a factory, in Asia.

How do I go about this? What I mean is; I have no problem in taking risks, etc, etc. But are there trusting websites for new startups that can provide you with reliable factories, etc. Who would consider looking at drawings/ sketches and trying to make them.

I am a creative person, with a good business ground/ education. But obviously, I am young and a new business and have never traded in China or Internationally, but have ambitions to see my brand stocked in stores.

Any help/ advice from those who have their products made in the Far East or Worldwide...what I need to look out for...

Thank you for reading, Clodagh.
Hi there,

You can hire a service where they check out the factories for you! I'm not sure what it's described as but I know a folk did it on another forum I'm apart of.
Guru
I think you can find agents who arrange international dealings.
Connector
Reading this entry I just had a 4 year deja vu! I response to replies above:

1) Chinese agencies are ALWAYS corrupt and working in cahoots with the factory - they will NEVER do any favours for a Westerner - they will look after their own first.

2) Any site aimed at helping pre-startup fashion labels find a factory is almost guaranteed to be con artists looking for naieve inexperienced marks to take their money and run.

The best advice I can give is use your common sense, and if you havent got that then try a different career

http://www.missfituk.com

Thanks for your advice missfituk, I am now looking and researching manufacturers in China
Connector
Quote:
Originally Posted by camthestudent View Post
Thanks for your advice missfituk, I am now looking and researching manufacturers in China
I can recommend honest/reliable factories, just drop me an email (contact details are on the contact us page of my website) if you need any help.

http://www.missfituk.com

Starting Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by camthestudent View Post
Dear All,
I have some questions...I want to run my own fashion clothing business- just say for this example it is just Dresses- so if I aim to set up my own label
(with the hope to interest large department stores to stock my brand in the future...)
I obviously need to get the dresses made cheap. I.e.: In a factory, in Asia.

How do I go about this? What I mean is; I have no problem in taking risks, etc, etc. But are there trusting websites for new startups that can provide you with reliable factories, etc. Who would consider looking at drawings/ sketches and trying to make them.

I am a creative person, with a good business ground/ education. But obviously, I am young and a new business and have never traded in China or Internationally, but have ambitions to see my brand stocked in stores.

Any help/ advice from those who have their products made in the Far East or Worldwide...what I need to look out for...

Thank you for reading, Clodagh.
I think the best thing to do would be to spend sometime researching companies that liaise between the west and east or deal with outsourcing to china. Be aware that a lot of consumers are becoming more eco savvy and want to buy clothes that have been made under fair trade regulations. So if you're thinking of outsourcing abroad make sure the factories take good care of their staff and aren't operative unfair practices. Good luck with your new business venture.