This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Entrepreneur
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordlancaster View Post
Hey Brown Sugar,

It sounds like you're already doing a great deal to promote your directory, but it's always hard driving traffic onto a new site - but word of mouth / referrals are definitely the most likely ways that people will get to hear about you.

Nikki's new training course sounds very good, but it's a long way for you to travel from London and so I'd suggest going to speak to the good people at the British Library & IP Centre @ St Pancras (http://www.bl.uk/bipc/) who can give you lots of free advice and up to 3hrs free market research for your business (London-based businesses only).

They're also running a 'Search Engine Optimisation for Small Businesses' course on Tuesday 2nd November, 10am-2pm for just £39+VAT (see http://www.bl.uk/bipc/workevents/seosmall.html).

Also, whatever you decide to do, I highly recommend that you (and anyone reading this) buys a copy of the book ''50 Ways to Make Google Love Your Website' by Steve Johnston and Liam McGee (currently just £5.74 on Amazon) as it tells you everything you need to know to get started with SEO and save yourself a bundle of money by doing stuff yourself, without the need to call in 'the experts'.
Hi lordlancaster,

Thanks for all your advice, I will try these other options regarding the SEO training and I will also buy the above book by Steve Johnston.

Kind Regards

Brown Sugar

info@girlsnotepad.co.uk

http://twitter.com/girlsnotepad

LONDON DIRECTORY

A London directory for all the useful contacts a woman in London would ever need
Entrepreneur
Hi lordlancaster,

Thanks for all your advice and also thanks for making me member of the month.

Kind Regards

Brown Sugar

info@girlsnotepad.co.uk

http://twitter.com/girlsnotepad

LONDON DIRECTORY

A London directory for all the useful contacts a woman in London would ever need
Connector
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown sugar View Post
Hi missfituk,

The one day course in SEO sounds great, only thing it is not untill next year and I really would like to start a course asap.

How often will you be running these courses?

Kind Regards

Brown Sugar
They will probably run every 6 weeks, but January is the first one

In the meantime, concentrate on backward links, blogs, that sort of thing - maybe Pay Per Click, or Facebook Advertising (we have a course on this too, on how to fully set up, manage and test a PPC campiagn on Google Adwords and Facebook Advertising)

http://www.missfituk.com

Starting Out
Brown Sugar,

In terms of getting people on board, there are a few things that I would be inclined to try:

-Partner campaigns: try to sign up a couple of partners who have a lot of the sorts of customers you are after, ask to run a campaign to them in return for adding a lot of value to their customers (e.g. a particular special offer on another product you have signed up) and try to capture them into a mailing list.

-Nationwide networking - there is a group called 4Networking that has really taken off in the UK. Given your offering I think it would be a very good place for you to sign up masses of local businesses but also meet a lot of women who could use and potentially spread the word about your site.

There may also be events that a lot of your target demographic attend, good places to give out information and a chance to sign people up for mailings etc.

In terms of SEO, in the sort of market place that you are competing, I think you would probably need to invest an awful lot of time to see much throughput to your site - I believe it is probably a competitive area of the market.

Hope that helps.
Best of luck,

Leigh
thecolourinbetween's Avatar thecolourinbetween thecolourinbetween is offline
Really, really interesting thread with lots of valuable and kind advice. Similar boat but I've only just left the harbour.

A DYNAMIC PARTNERSHIP WITH YOUR NEW DESIGNER STARTS HERE!

thecolourinbetween.com : Graphic Design : North East

07735 609 878 : facebook : twitter : Blog : eMail