This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Entrepreneur
Liability with Limited Companies

hello, i started a fashion retail store that was a limited company that we had to cease trading on march 10th this year so as not to trade illegally, we started a bit under capitalised and couldnt raise any more money off the banks for one reason or another.

The soliciters landlord of the premises has issued a form with the heading

"statutory demand under section 123(1)(a) or 222(1)(a) of the insolvency act 1986"

we had a ten year lease but we didnt sign any guarantees (Definatly) and we ceased trading as soon as it was possible that we knew we couldnt continue.

We sent them a letter saying that we intended to strike the company off in 3 months due to the company not having enough assets to continue.

it says if it is not dealt with in 21 days the company will be subject to a winding up procedure. Does anyone know what that will involve for me, ie court dates etc? does anyone know if they can make me liable for any of the debt?
I have a young child and a house to look after, so even though my rational sense says the company was shut down properly and its just one of those things i cant help feeling that i may end up getting put into court and made liable.

(Very worried about this)

cheers
Maven
Who

has the demand been served on, you personally or the Ltd company?
Connector
depends who's name the contract was in. company should take responsibility. i dont think you'll find a certain answer on here, i'd recommend asking a solicitor maybe.