This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Starting Out
Trade Mark Registration

Does anyone have any advice on registering trademarks. I have spoken to a solicitor, but the quote was a phenomenal amount - if you know of any cost efficient registry service, I would be v grateful for details??

Thanks
Connector
Kay, you can go to the patent office direct and do it for around 250 and an additional 50 per additional categroy you want protection in.

Like anything of this nature, you can do it yourself and save money or use a professional. When I move house I would rather pay a solicitor to ensure it was done right.

Vending Solutions from Vendesent.co.uk
Starting Out
Trade Marks

Hi

I know of a lawyer who offers a very reasonable fixed fee service.

Email me for details.
Starting Out
What is your email address please?
Starting Out
Trade Marks

Hi Kay

Sorry I forgot to add it.

info@qualityeye.com
Connector
Don't forget that the fees quoted at http://www.patent.gov.uk/ are just for application - they don't guarantee that you'll actually get official trade mark status!
Connector
And it's worth doing their Search & Advisory service @ 82.50 - this flags anything that might be a problem with your application.

As pointed out though, neither the Search or the Application guarantees acceptance - and you have to wait 3 months for anyone else to object too! (I'm in the middle of this process!)

The trademark lawyers fees were phenomenal - especially as their initial quotes basically covered the process outlined above and not negotiating with maligned parties if there was an objection (you might as well have handed them your house keys if this happened!!).
Connector
You need to find the classification for the area of business you want to use these trademarks in.

You should then speak to the patent offices search and advisory service as it could save you spending more money should the trademarks not be unique.

If everything is OK you then pay 200 per trademark plus 50 for each extra industry sector over the first one. ie you get to classify your trademark in one business sector for 200 and for extra sectors you add 50 per sector.

Best advice I could give is that if you are registering a word then just register the word in a standard font and indicate that the font is not a specific part of the trademark. This then covers that word as a trademark in your chosen sectors irresepective of the font you use it in. If you register it in a specific font it only really gives you bullet-proof cover on the trademark when used in that font.

AND

If your trademark is an image then register it in black and white and indicate that the colours are not a specific detail on the trademark. Therefore it will be covered in whatever colours you use it in. If you register the logo in specific colours then you will only get bullet-proof cover on teh trademark when it is used in those colours.

Now do not take my words as the law. This is just what I have learned. It may not be 100% correct and a patent lawyer may correct me where I am wrong. What I do know is that the basics of what I have said should be correct.

By paying a trademark attorney however you will be told this as this is what they will be doing for their money!

Good luck,

Clem.