This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Starting Out
Business Software

Hi All,

Thanks for reading.

I am about to embark on a new software development project to write a small business manager package. With a view to selling it to the general market.

I have a number of ideas that I would like to see in a 'catch all' package. But I wondered if anyone could give me there wish list for a software packages that would help to run your company and give your more to actually 'build' your company.

I intend to market this software for around £80-100 each. Would you pay this amount if the product had you wish list items in ?

Any feedback would be gratfully recieved.

Kindest Regards

Jonathan Adams
empower your business
jonathan.adams@dzsolutions.com
Connector
Hi Jonathan. I think your idea is too broad for a simple solution. How many packages do you intend to sell? (i.e. Say a retailers needs will be different from an online store...etc) Are you going to make a different package for different sectors?

Or just the one package to include the basics, like Business Plans, Profit/ Loss Accounts...etc? Sounds like a good idea and it's something all new/ small businesses could use. Maybe post some further details?

Regards
Jay
Design R Web Solutions
Connector
I forgot to add, if you are selling the software for around £80-£100, what you could do is try and partner some companies who could give you money off, and then the end user (your clients) could recoup the cost of the purchase.

(i.e. Maybe SAGE for accounting, where your clients could save money, with a discount.)

Regards
Jay
Design R Web Solutions
Starting Out
hi Jay

I agree that tring to to a one package for all is a bad idea. Because it it could be done. Someone would have done it already.

My plan is to build something which let people manage communications with clients. for example, making a note of telephone calls, letters, e-mails etc . A allowing the user to post a task list, like call back in 1 week. When they log on everyday they will have list of things to do that day and all the information to do it with.

For the system the user will be able to define there own additional fields to store against the customer which could be anything.

Then there is mail shot and e-mail shot. How nice would it be to go into one pack and not have to have a degree to say send an e-mail to all customers whom live in this area, or match one of or two of the addtional fields set-up. Then once the message have been sent having a log against the customer that, that campain has been sent to them etc etc

The profit and loss stuff is something I am thinking about, it may be a very simple invoice and payment section, so the user can say send and invoice for this amount and use this template. Set the payment days. Then when the customer has payed simply tick the payed tick box. Then any unpaid items would appear in the task list for chasing as and when the date arrose. The same for purchases add what you bought and from whom, and you can log how quickly it was deleivered when you have to pay etc etc. The payment would appear in your task list when the payment was due. You could also use this informaiton to evaluate supplier performance, or work out a deal with the supplier and have the information on hand to back it up.

The flip side is to eventually write export rouintes to all major accountancy packages to allow you to export your profit and loss information with on click.

The idea about having a business plan generator is a good one. I mean you could set company objective; to compelete by a certain date; and these would appear in task list.

Of course the task list would log expect date and actual dates so you can get a general overview of how well you are keeping on top of things. So if you are constantly one week over then you can review whether to get more staff .

The list could go on. But I hope this give you more idea of the angle I am comming in at. It is a little like a crm system, just a lot easier to set-up and use.

Again thank your for your comments and I look forward to more input

Kindest Regards

Jonathan Adams
empower your business
Connector
ME

Hmmm, I love it when people ask me what I want.

I have tried contact management software packages and found them far less efficient than a card filing system combined with my own memory, simply because the time it takes me to find a file and prompt my memory is far faster than the time to log into some software find the same details.

If there were to be a truly wonderful software system it would do the following;

The phone rings and a client is on the line, I don't know who they are and all they have mentioned briefly is their name......my software needs to let me plug in their name whilst they chat to me and bring up all of their details.....it needs to let me get into the system and bring up the information within about 30 seconds max, this way by the time the client has finished talking I know everything and remember everything about them.
Starting Out
Hi Amanda,

I agree. You will need to find the client information as quick as possible.

One of the features I hope to include at a later date, is to hook it up to the telephone. So when you phone rings the computer will pick out the number calling and automatically find the client whom is calling without you pressing a thing!.

Your suggestion have been logged. Thank you for taking the time to read this thread.

Kindest Regards

Jonathan Adams
empower your business
Maven
Hey, You didnt go to University with me did you? :-) I did a final year project based on the idea's you are talking about.. I actually managed to develop a solution in Visual Basic and made use of the TAPI interface to integrate with the telephone system to retrieve phone numbers, the concepts were exactly same in that it would bring up the users details and history on screen when the phone rang.

It was for a helpdesk system for a SME that I was doing my work placement for at the time.

Damn new i should have patented it ;-)

John Crocker
netadvances
Email: info@netadvances.co.uk
Web: http://www.netadvances.co.uk
Starting Out
Hi john

Telephone link seems to be one of those things that everyone would love. But seems to be really pricey to implement. Now I am sure that if a computer has a modem then it should be easy to do!!. In fact I know it is, it's just these big companies see it as fancy and hence charge lots of money!!!!

For not though I must concentrate on create a very very simple and quick user interface and of course getting those wish list items for everyone.

Kindest Regards
empower your business
Starting Out
Sorry John, I did not got to university, however many moons ago (around 7 years) when I were just a wee little junior programmer we wrote a telephone interchange system into some Client management software for the business links CLim8 I think it was called using VB. The idea has stuck with me since. I just never done anything about it.

Now .net has arrived!!!! I will say now more.

Kindest Regards
empower your business
Connector
Too late for patenting

You do know that this telephone/software hook up thing has already been done? Banks etc use it, I don't know if they stole it off you though ;-)
Starting Out
Yes, I know that there are systems in place for banks, call centres etc. However these are large implentations of this and are generally very expensive.

I am thinking of using the computers existing modem. Hence keeping it cheap. Which we all like

Kindest Regards
empower your business