This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Guru
Does it need to be safety checked

Hi

Iv'e created a new style trailer for the back of push bikes with a reduced cost due to the material i have used. I am just wondering before i sell to the public, do i need to have it independantly safety checked or can i sell it as is? People on ebay are selling home made products all the time and i can't imagine they have had theirs checked by an independant body, and people import from china without safety checking the product before selling to the UK public. However i know it may be a requirement.

Thanks
Connector
I believe there are numerous requirements in order to have an item "ceritified" as safe, especially used by children
I would therefore suggest you contact ROSPA and see what guidelines they offer

In respect of the product, make sure it has product liability insurance
Equally, you could contact such an insurer in advance and see what their guidelines and requirements are

I would expect the minimum will be a British Standard
Maven
There's a guy called Matthieu who's nominated for the Grand Ideas award this month, who's developed a trailer-type product. He's on the forums, called "Tyligo trailers" - he might be a good person to ask?

The Technology and Social Media Consultancy

Many thanks to all who helped us win a Grand Ideas award for February 2011. Some of the great guys who helped can be found on The Great deeg Ark-Builders List!
Entrepreneur
It would really depend if 1) your trailer is gonna be used to tow kids behind your bike, and if 2) you wish to manufacture it in large volume for retail.

If you tow kid in it you will need to comply with the British Standard 7409:1996 (SPECIFICATION FOR SAFETY REQUIREMENTS FOR WHEELED CHILD CONVEYANCE)

Defined for "any wheeled vehicle designed for the transport of one or more infants either seated or reclined".

Now, in the case where you would like to manufacture it in a higher volume, your manufacturer will need to be manufacturing under the ISO 9001/2000 standard (to be checked with potential manufacturer).
Plus on top of that a bench of test via the TUV labs http://www.tuv.com/us/en/index.html for official certification.

If it is just for you, and in the case where you wouldn't be towing kids double check with the British standard institute http://www.bsigroup.com/ to see if you need to comply to any other standards.

As m8internet mentioned in his message, product liability insurance is a must have if other people are gonna use your product.

I've got a copy of the standard if that help,

Sounds promising, good luck with it!

Matt
Guru
If you dont, take out some heavy insurance
Guru
Hi, thanks for the advice.

It's not going to tow kids, but it will be to retail. I don't have a munufacturer at moment as i am planning on building them myself in my own workshop (shed). I have completed a product design engineering degree, so know what i am doing, but obviously am not certified to critique the safety of my own work.

The trailer is more likely to carry shopping etc... I will only be selling to adults on a build to order basis.

I have very little money at the moment (using another business to fund this one), so taking liability insurance before even starting to trade is a no-no.

Obviously i will be testing the product, before selling it and there are many very similar products already on the market, just made with different material, so i believe the product to be completely safe. However what if on my retail website i had a disclaimer where i stated using this product is at own risk and my company has no liabilty over any accidents that may occur. Is this allowed?
Connector
Quote:
Originally Posted by pego View Post
It's not going to tow kids
The trailer is more likely to carry shopping etc...
I will only be selling to adults on a build to order basis
This is where product liability insurance is required
Not everything sold in retail is used as intended
The customer then takes legal action due to subsequent injury, damage, losses, etc

Equally, if you are using your own property to construct these items make sure your local authority allows business use (if rented make sure your landlord also knows)
Check that your home insurance is also sufficient and includes business use

Tags
check, safety