This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Maven
Any parents out there?

Just wondering what you do with your kids when you go to these shows? as a lone parent and no family near by i would probably have to take my son along with me. Would they take me less seriously cos of this?
Connector
What shows do you mean?

Belinda
Please keep links to your sites within your signature.

Thank you

Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by Widgey
Please keep links to your sites within your signature.

Thank you
WHAT THE,

I have been posting like that for 487 posts and never had a complaint, I am mortified at receiving a *SNIP* as it implies I am a troll. Putting it in the sig only moves it down a whopping 8-10mm and adds a line, OMG.

Moving along now.....

Belinda

www.chicshops.co.uk
Connector
I take my 1 year old with me to the shows I do, and sometimes my husband comes along with the two elder kids as well.

We were told at the last one we went to that it was lovely to have children around as it brought a new dimension to the event, and added to the atmosphere. I don't think anyone has taken me less seriously because I take my son with me.

It might depend on the type of show though? I go to psychic/mind, body & spirit/natural living shows and so they are all fairly holstic, and so having the kids there fits in well.

____

(Have to agree with Belinda here on the link. If it's so important, a simple email would have sorted it out, rather than dealing with it publicly.)

Meditation and Sound Therapy
Maven
I mean going along to the big events that deal with start ups.......
Connector
I wouldn't take children. Even though us Mum's don't always have much choice I don't think it's professional taking children to start up shows. I'm not trying to start a controversial debate here. I have a 2 year old who throws the biggest tantrums and I don't think it would go down too well at a business event.
Maven
that is what i was thinking! But due to lack of (reliable) people whom i would trust and don't cost a bomb i may have to if i want to tootle off to a show. I am sure my partner would be happy to but he regularly works 6-7 days a week Thanks anyway. At least I know I CAN just not the best idea.

Back to the drawing board again then i think lol
Connector
hey febes,

I'm a mother of two and i wouldnt suggest you take your child.
Going to the shows are quiet tiring and your little un will prob get bored, plus you wont be able to concentrate fully whilst your there.
I know that the professional beauty show(bit different but still at excel) they dont permit any under sixteens.
Why dont you check if they have childcare facilities at the show?
Do you have any inlaws or nan/grandad that can look after the liitle one?

"Make no small plans for they have no power to stir the soul." (Niccolo Machiavelli)

www.marveewoods.com
Marvee Woods Music
Talented songwriter
Connector
I have loads of kids. Leave them at home. while several of the people i work with, work from home and have a few. they have got to stay home and taking them along to any sort of show which might be a business meeting is a bad idea. It is bad enough with wives husbands or boyfriends. You often end up in a conversation which looks fantastic and you have just met the ideal contact who is interested in what you are saying, you need to be able to just give up your plans and keep talking and possibly even walk away with a deal and the last thing you ever need is someone saying "come on i'm hungry" you swap cards and go off and that one moment is lost.

It is not the fact that you have kids that is the problem but the fact you cant leave them.

I would worry if any business partner or subcontractor was so tied to their children that they couldnt get a few hours off even with loads of advance notice.

If it is kids sort of thing or hug a bunny stuff then possibly but otherwise forget it. If you want to go into business there will always be times you need to be able to go to a meeting so get child care sorted. so you can get a morning or afternoon off one or twice a month if necessary. sorry to be blunt but that is the truth. been there.
Connector
Children and running a business

I would recommend against taking them for the reasons already stated and in my mind the most important points being;

- You won't be able to concentrate and thus won't get full benefit from the event.

- It doesn't look professional because any potential customer is going to worry if the perceive you can't get away from your children even for one show....or that you aren't willing to.

They will worry that your children come above their needs, which of course they do, but they don't want that fact staring them in the face making them worry about how they will be serviced as a customer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I work from home with my children with me for most of the day, and rarely attend events as like to be available for my children and never go to daytime events - but if I needed to for any reason I felt was important for my business, or I wanted to I do have childcare I can put in place.

I think my customers would feel nervy if I was 100% chained to my children and couldn't even for one day get help with them whilst I attended to something that really would be difficult to attend to with children around such as a start-up event.

Best Wishes

Amanda
Connector
I hadn't realised you were talking about start-up events and B2B events when I made my post. I wouldn't take my son with me to those.

The kind of events I attend are completely different, and the kids fit right in (there are even activities put on for the kids).

Meditation and Sound Therapy
Maven
I understand everyones point of view, but i literally have no one, my nearest relatives are about 30-40 miles away and elderly, and as a lone parent have no inlaws. If I do decide to go to one I will book a day off work where I already have childcare in place for my job, but a lot seem to be weekends. Now I know the etiquette though, which means I am better equipped. If I 100% had to be somewhere where my sons presence would be detrimental to the outcome I would make sure I had childcare, but as it is so costly I would rather not iykwim!

Thanks all anyhow
Connector
I wouldn't worry about it really.

If it is too much hassle getting to these events, don't go! I have been trading for a year now and have grown so much in the last 12 months (way beyong my expectations), and I haven't been to one event. I go to see an advisor from the Enterprise Agency every now and then, but I time it for when my hubby's off work.

If you really want to succeed it will happen regardless of attending these events. There's other things you can do to help your business.
Connector
Hi Febes

Do you know you can claim working tax credits ( just in case you werent aware) with childcare element if you are self employed . you dont need to be making money to get that help as long as you are working over 16hrs. The tax credits have helped me a lot even when my income was 0 they still gave me tax credit. you could arrange temporary arrangment. you may just need to consider local childminders.

Secondly consider business link. they may help. i went to a local event here in Kent and they provided us with transport cost and childcare cost. You know what ring them bussiness link and beg them for childcare belp. Sometimes the first person you speak to may just tell you no they dont do that. Dont give up ask to speak to the manager and beg for help. I tell you it will work in the end. i too have a daughter who is now 7 and had to go thru all that too. the way i looked at it when i was begging for help was these were my sales practice calls. remember when selling you have to try hard so begin by asking for help it is just the same thing. dont even think you are putting yourself down, look at it as a sales call