This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Connector
finding deleted emails?

Hello all, I have microsoft office outlook and wanted to try and get back some emails I have deleted by mistake, and then deleted the deleted items. Does anyone know if this can be done and how I do it?
Thanks
Starting Out
When you delete an email in Outlook – it really isn’t deleted; it’s only “marked” for deletion. It’s only until you “compact” your PST file that your email is permanently erased, and the empty space is reclaimed.

Outlook’s Inbox Repair Tool (ScanPST.exe) can diagnose and repair errors in your PST file. If the file is not corrupt, it does some minor clean-up – but if the file IS corrupt it also reverts all objects to “not deleted.”

So you first need to “corrupt” our PST file to have ScanPST reclaim our “deleted” emails. [NOTE: I'm not including detailed instructions. If you're not comfortable please ask someone to help you.]
1) Locate and backup your Outlook PST file

2) From the Command Prompt type what’s in bold (not the hyphens "-")

DEBUG C:\fullpath\OutlookFile.PST
- f 107 113 20
- q

3) Now that you’ve “corrupted” your PST file run ScanPST (usually found in C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033)

4) Once ScanPST completes, your deleted emails will be restored.

Please use caution when trying this and double check you have backed up the PST file.

If you are not very familiar with this kind of stuff try and find someone to help you.
Good Luck
Also if you haven't set up outlook to delete the server version of the email, the email should still be there.

If you can (or have access) to webmail for the account... log in and you might be lucky it's still there.

For convert ost to pst files you may use ost 2 pst. It allows to opening corrupted mailboxes from any HDD in local area network, uses modern methods of repairing damaged or lost data. Software doesn't modify data after working.