This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Night club help

Hey all.

My ambision is to own and run my own night club in cardiff. I have found a neich market for which i plan on entering into.

But, i have a few problem,

- First of all my age, Atm i am 17 (18 in feb), will this affect my chances of getting a loan, grant, or any other means of finance? Will it affect my chances of being approved for a lience? And will people take me serious?

- Another problem is a limited knowledge of running a night club. I know i have what it takes to do it, but like everyone i need help. If anyone has any knowledge of setting up/running a night club and would care to share any tips/info with me then it would be a great help.

- Lack of contacts, how would i contact or approach certian people? One place i would like to contact is the police, since bindge drinking, drugs, and violence are big problems accoaited with night clubs i would like to find out what i can do to reduce these problems, which can have good effects elsewhere (finance, customers, licence Etc)

- Finance, Unlike some people in business, i have noone i can turn to for financal assistants. I live in one of the worst places in cardiff, and my family are relatively poor. My parents have a few loans, plus a mortgage, but i think there cerdit history is quite ok. Would the bank hold this against me?

- Property, Where would i go to find such a property? Am i looking at hundred(s) of thousand(s) a year to rent such a place? Would it appeal more to an investor to buy the property (they buy the property for me to use, being their investment)?

Thats all i can think to ask Atm, But i'm sure i will have more soon. Thanks in advance to anyone who replys.
Also, What would be the best type of ownership?
Banned
I have worked in clubs for many years promoting bands and events. It is hard hard work and the hours are very long.

You have little to no chance of getting a loan at your age as you are not even old enough to go into a club let alone own one. I would say to get a decent sized venue (250 people) will cost about 100,000 plus rent, rates, wages etc etc.

I would say to you to go and work in a club as soon as you can, even start glass collecting. From there start to run your own club nights so you get an idea of the amount of work that is involved.

Then I suggest to read at least 25 books on marketing, management and the alcohol trade before you even put a business plan together.

You need to fully investigate all the licence issues in your area, how you get your own licence, the local gangs that run the doors (yes this does happen), what other clubs are doing to get trade etc etc.

I suggest to go and work in the most successful clubs, find out what they are doing and even download their accounts. I don't know a club manager under the age of 40, so you have a very long and hard road ahead if this is the what you want to do.

Matt
Entrepreneur
At 17, you are not old enough to legally enter a contract, so this may be a problem.

Your lack of experience will also make it very hard to get an investor.

Do as Matt says and get a job in a Night Club for a while.

Don't let your social background bother you. I'm from a similar background myself and now have two businesses that are doing well.

You may also want to talk to your local Business Link or PRincest Trust office as they'd be able to help you with most of your questions.

Best of luck.
Connector
Hi there,

I have a client in Cardiff who runs club nights.

I cant promise you anything but I am sure at least he would have a chat with you about the industry. Could be useful.

Drop me an email.

Jacqui

j.macdougall@creacomdesign.com
Connector
Which part of Cardiff mate?
Connector
I may also be able to put you in touch with a few contacts in Cardiff

send me your contact details to emma @ liema-events.co.uk

Professional, Creative & Tailor Made Events

www.LIEMA-EVENTS.co.uk

----------------------------------------------------------
NEWS - July 2006:
** Emma has an interview for The Apprentice week commencing 17th July 2006
Thanks to everyone who has replied, Just to clear a few things up.

I have worked in a bar collecting galsses, serving, stocking, etc for over 5 years, so i know the basics of how its run, how to deal with people etc.

Thank you very much to the people who may be able to put me in touch with some night club owners, this would be a great experiance for me and i shall contact you soon.

For the person who asked which part of cardiff, answer is Splott

I may have more questions soon, so all replies will greatly help. Thanks
Hey,

I have had a number of years experience within the nightclub industry, Management and Consultant to one of the UK's biggest nightclub leisure companys.

I would be happy to chat with you at any point and put you in contact with people in the industry.

My MSN is dfr0208@hotmail.com

You may only be 17 and the points that the others have made are valid. It is not illegal to be in a nightclub under the age of 18 it is illegal to buy and sell drink so some clubs will hire glass collectors at 17. Getting a job in a club is the best idea just now as it will give you a better feel for it. Having a job in a bar is a good start but its different to working in a club.

David

www.mtcmedia.co.uk
david@mtcmedia.co.uk
Trouble finding night club property to rent (Cardiff)

Dear All

My boyfriend and a friend of his have managed a club for years and now want to open their own, having received financial backing. Most of the research they need to do has already been done and their ideas are prepared. The only problem is that they are finding it difficult to find a property to rent in Cardiff that would be suitable. They have contacts in the industry, but nothing has come trumps so far.

Does anyone either know of an estate agent that would have properties like this or have heard something about a property for rent?

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Jessica