PDA

View Full Version : on a cold raining england day where would you be

bullitpromotions
01-12-2005, 03:58 PM
its cold, raining and dark and i have just spoken to a web graphic designer, 90% of his work is based in the uk and he's sitting by a beach in buenos aires!

question is if you could be based anywhere in the world where would you be working from?

i'm not bitter....honest

Rachael
01-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Sitting on a beach in Antiguia!!

I think I need a job where I can sit in the sun and do it.

MikeH
01-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Not sure I would work there but on a cold and rainy day I often think about Rarotonga or Fiji. I spent some time there travelling and they are two of the most beautiful places that I have seen. The islands are fantastic and the beeches seem beyond perfection.

Mike.

InnoCreate
01-12-2005, 04:05 PM
It'd have to be one of the virgin Isles, a beach in california or maybe the baharmas :D
thats my long term goal - make enough money to be able have a house in the UK and a house somewhere nice and hot and beable to live and run my businesses between the two houses depending on the time of year.

Rachael
01-12-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by InnoCreate
It'd have to be one of the virgin Isles, a beach in california or maybe the baharmas :D
thats my long term goal - make enough money to be able have a house in the UK and a house somewhere nice and hot and beable to live and run my businesses between the two houses depending on the time of year.

Mine too - althought i'm hoping to make the big move to Calif. in the next two years :D

Amsey
01-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Rachael
Sitting on a beach in Antiguia!!

I

I will be doing that in March! I am so excited allready! Although it's a holiday, i have set aside about an hour a day for work- if I don't know what's going on then I can't relax!

cc123
01-12-2005, 04:25 PM
back in New York freezing my *** off - but thats ok cause it s NYC

Rachael
01-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Amsey
I will be doing that in March! I am so excited allready! Although it's a holiday, i have set aside about an hour a day for work- if I don't know what's going on then I can't relax!

oooh sorry to hijack but what part you going to be staying??

Amsey
I actually love this miserable weather as it feels like Christmas! All I need now is a glass of mulled wine and I'll be happy!

InnoCreate
Yeah i wouldn't mind freezing if i was in NYC either. Must be really nice this time of year with all the christmas stuff going on.

cc123
01-12-2005, 04:29 PM
last xmas day I was skating in central park by moonlight - cant top that

Rachael
01-12-2005, 04:35 PM
I actually love this miserable weather as it feels like Christmas! All I need now is a glass of mulled wine and I'll be happy!
I do like bad weather at christmas when I dont have to go out but not all year round. I prefer the sunnier climes and the heat!!

Amsey
01-12-2005, 04:37 PM
oooh sorry to hijack but what part you going to be staying??

We are actually doing a Carribean cruise so we fly out to Barbados to board Arcadia and then visit Grenada, Dominica, Tortola and Antigua before sailing back across the Atlantic to Southampton.

In Antigua, we dock at St John's which had a fantastic atmosphere when I was there this year.

ETA: Sorry to be boring, i'm just REALLY looking forward to going away!

Shafted
01-12-2005, 04:38 PM
I would like to be on my yacht in Monaco!

Rachael
01-12-2005, 04:39 PM

ETA: Sorry to be boring, i'm just REALLY looking forward to going away! I dont think it's boring. Hope you have a fabulous time - I loved Antigua when I was there!!

creacom
01-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Well, having returned to the Highlands of Scotland last year after living in the South of France for 5 years....I could think of nowhere else I would rather be !!!

Might settle down tonight with a nice glass of mulled wine and get into the xmas spirit !!!

Remember - days that get dark early mean longer nights !!! ';)'

Jacqui

Amsey
01-12-2005, 04:41 PM
I do like bad weather at christmas when I dont have to go out but not all year round. I prefer the sunnier climes and the heat!!

lol! I quite agree with you Rachael!

cc123
01-12-2005, 04:46 PM
where in s france :P

creacom
01-12-2005, 04:49 PM
I lived in Lyon for 2 years, Chambery for 1 and then Paris for 2.

Great places but you cant beat the rain and snow of the North of Scotland though !!!':D'

Jacqui

cc123
01-12-2005, 05:03 PM
i guess not!

I go down to Nimes loads cause i have some great friends there. beautiful in summer!

nikita
01-12-2005, 05:03 PM
I am dreaming of going home to Estonia... it's snowing there now and it's really breathtaking! I love snow winter!!!

creacom
01-12-2005, 05:09 PM
I know Nimes and Avignon really well. I used to go to the Avignon festival every summer and spend a coupld of weeks between the 2 places. Great little cities with a lot of all year round activity.

You should try Lyon once. Its the home of French cuisine, in the heart of the Rhone wine region and has some wonderful architecture and nightlife too.

I should get commission from the French Tourist Board for that review !!':)'

Jacqui

Play!!
01-12-2005, 05:16 PM
I would be based in California, somewhere along the coast. Love the place.

shane74
01-12-2005, 06:02 PM
I'd be on my laptop on my cruise ship on the choppy English channel. It was brilliant that time I went across it on the way home from holiday on a ferry and it almost flipped upside down and they cancelled all the other ferries after ours. It was like being on a rollercoaster - oh happy days :D

iccomms
01-12-2005, 06:24 PM
Anywhere warm really...

Thinking about it I could run my business from anywhere in the world really. Although I would still have to pay Uk tax if I operate over here.

Baz Hillen
01-12-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by iccomms
Anywhere warm really...

Thinking about it I could run my business from anywhere in the world really. Although I would still have to pay Uk tax if I operate over here.

Wow u still have to pay UK tax even if you are operating outised of the UK, that sounds a bit harsh.

Bumptastic
01-12-2005, 06:51 PM
I lived in Bali for 4 years, worked in the mornings and spent my afternoons on the beach. Before that I lived in SW France for 2 years.
I hate these English winters and can't quite remember now why I came back.....

Sarah

mattley23
01-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Well im working outside in this cold and raining day and the place i'd really want to be is where I will be in 30 days time

snowboarding in canada!!!

Roll on December 31st!!!!!!!

Rachael
01-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Baz Hillen
Wow u still have to pay UK tax even if you are operating outised of the UK, that sounds a bit harsh.

You have to pay tax in the UK if your a citizen or in the country you are residing. If you go to the job centre website it has all details regarding that on there :)

adycooney
02-12-2005, 05:41 AM
For me it has to be San Diego, I am there at the mo, looking in on the forum, this is my second time visiting (Work related) in 2 years and I love it....btw, I see its cold and 4am in the UK and I'm in my tee shirt just about to head off for a beer!! can't believe how nice it is today :)

My colleagues say it has 300 days of sun a year, and is between 70-80 degrees F year round. The sun rubs off on the locals too, they are all happy smiley and very receptive to business.

I don't want to come back, but know I have too!

Oh well, roll on Sunday, hope it isn't snowing when I land back

Ady