View Full Version : Can anyone inform me on the law of selling alcohol?

11-11-2005, 03:29 PM
I've looked on google but cant find it,

I need the law on selling alcohol over the internet really, licensing etc. Also how would you go about finding the % of alcohol?

Many thanks to anyone who can help!

James Smith
11-11-2005, 04:25 PM
Iíve seen several similar posts to this recently on different forums.

Have a search on here and on startups.co.uk , I seem to recall someone else was after this information.

I would try the business link website or the DTI as a first port of call.

The % of alcohol is clearly stated on all products, its down o the manufacturer to put this on.

11-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Thanks, if I was the manufacturer though any idea how I would know how strong what I made was?

11-11-2005, 04:54 PM
if you're making the booze yourself there are probably other licensing issues to take into account.

As far as I know alcohol content can be found by testing the "specific gravity"

try googling for that term and see what you find

James Smith
11-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Yes if you are making it, then you need to get in touch with customs and excise. The excise division deal with the taxes due on alcohol production. I imagine there is also all sorts of H&S regulation around this area too given you are making a foodstuff.

Dont let it put you off, you just need to deal with all the red tape if this is what you want to do. The business link is a mine of useful information for this type of thing as if gives you lots of links into the relevant gov department.


11-11-2005, 05:12 PM
I am sure the members of the forum will test it for you..

Simon Nolan
11-11-2005, 07:43 PM
In order to sell alcohol you need to do a Licence Test, this is fairly straight forward.

Once you have passed the test you will need to put in a formal application for a licence and you will have to go to court to have it granted. (magistrates court, usually takes about 10 mins, they will ask you a few questions about the law etc...)

You will need to talk to a solicitor to get it all sorted out.