PDA

View Full Version : hand made fuirniture

finewooddesigns
16-10-2005, 03:15 PM
Hi there,
I am starting up a new business with the help of the princess trust, who are providing me with a good value loan.
I have been trained to make furniture but will not be starting in this market .
The point is, I have been urged to stay away from making furniture as the market is apparently no longer viable, the only problem is this is my passion.
A good compropmise I have come up with is guitar making, what do you think?

Cheers
Mark Quick

somedaymaybe
16-10-2005, 03:27 PM
if you really want to do furniture making then do it, and dont let anything stop you. No viable market for it? Make one. Seriously, a hard working, passionate, skilled person can do a lot these days with a bit of imagination and originality im sure if you dare to be different soon the orders will be flooding in. Want to stay safe, then go with guitar making,sounds pretty ok. But is a passion something worth compromising on?

James Smith
16-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Mark,

I have a client who makes a living from making furniture.

High quality tables, chairs etc.

Business is rather up and down - some years he does really well, some years it is tough.

Marketing seems to be the main issue - there are people who are willing to pay for handmade items, however it is hard to actually market yourself. You need to do lots of shows displaying your work etc.

I would disagree that there is "no market". The good news is that you can charge a lot for it as people expect to pay a lot for bespoke handmade items, and a lot of the makers are fairly poor at marketing themselves, so there is a niche opportunity at the top end if you are really good at both the making and the selling.

Regards,

Play!!
17-10-2005, 02:46 AM
You can sell anything that is handcrafted to a high quality finish. Its been a while since machines took over and I think people in general are getting tired with the ikea type furnature. I would much rather have a quality solid wood desk with nice joins and stuff, than some flimsy laminated thing. Unfortunatly for most we just cant afford it yet. Given the choice I think a high percentage of people would go for the solid handcrafted option every time.

There is a market for it, im sure.