PDA

View Full Version : hosts please

beermatting
16-09-2005, 07:19 PM
Hi

I am very disgruntled with my website hosting company.

Does anyone know of a good company that can tansfer domains quickly and handle domain mapping?

Duncan

www.beermatting.com

jonno
16-09-2005, 07:37 PM
send me an email with you exact requirements and i'll sort you something :)

Martin
16-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Openmindedsolutions can provide you these services.

Domain transfers only cost £1 and you have full DNS control. (Plus a load of other features)

Domains
http://www.openminddomains.co.uk

Hosting
http://www.openmindhosting.co.uk

as used by many Shell-LiveWIRE members.

regards,

Martin

Stationery-Direct.co.uk
16-09-2005, 08:17 PM
I am also looking for a hosting company, I have taken a look at Openmindhosting and I was wondering what everybody thinks of them, good and bad please.

I know they post on here and hope they dont mind.

Also, I dont know how big or well known in the hosting world openmindhosting is as I know nothing about hosting (so no offence), but, would you say that it is better going with somebody well known and financially secure like 123-reg.co.uk and the like.

Cheers for any advice

Hebe73
16-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Hi,

I am voting for Openmind hosting here. I have my domain with 123-reg but that was before i started hosting with Phil from Open Mind.

His service is second to none and i feel he lives on the internet. Problems get sorted asap even if they are my fault or just exist in my mind.

Go with Open Mind, you wont regret it.

Giovanna
www.homesweetholland.co.uk
Dutch food Online

Adam
16-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Phil is kind of attached to his computer. I have know him fixing stuff at 3am that customers broke!

I was with him for a year until I went to my own box.

He is not the cheapest and if you do not need all the support you may find cheaper but then consider what happens if you go for the cheapest!

beermatting
17-09-2005, 10:11 AM
Thanks folks.

Will look into your suggestions....

James Smith
17-09-2005, 10:17 AM
I host with Phil (openmind), and have had no problems with hosting or email. In fact the only downtime I can remember was when he switched servers, and even then I donít think we lost more than an hour or two.

More to the point he responds to queries right away, especially with his fancy new phone system!

Regards,

openmind
17-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Just wanted to quickly say thank to all those who posted the comments above, your obligatory £5 bribe is winging it's way to you as we speak! :D

Seriously though Duncan I would be more than happy to have a chat with you about your needs and answer any questions you may have. Feel free to give me a call on 08456 445 789

Just wanted to respond as well to TheDevil with his points...

You do raise a very valid issue there and its often a hard decision to make whether to go with a tried and tested company like 123Reg or a smaller outfit like ourselves.

I think the best way to overcome the problem is that since we are a small outfit, myself and a couple of freelance technicians, I can offer a completely different type of service to the bigger hosts.

When people call me or send me an email, they are straight away on first name terms with the person who pushes the buttons and this makes a massive difference when it comes to resolving problems quickly.

I lease my own servers so I am complete control of them and therefore don't have to worry about getting anyone else to do the dirty work for me unless of course there is a hardware failure, very rare, then the on-site techs at the data centre will act on my behalf.

Humanity is important in this game and I would rather see people who host with me as business partners rather than as customers. As the company grows I would expect that ethos to continue and not get swallowed up in turnover! ;)

I would rather not post exact details of how many people host with me but it is well over 1,000 domains worldwide now including the dedicated server customers and domain registrations.

As many people say it's never quantity, it's quality...

**Edit**
Just realised The Devil is Damon who signed up tonight :D

Stationery-Direct.co.uk
17-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Just like to thank Phil and everybody else for the advice given, so far the customer service from Openmind Hosting has been second to none and I would recommend them to anybody.

Cheers

Damon

ECI
18-09-2005, 12:59 PM
I can vouch for the quality and service of everything openmind do.

As the web is such an important place for my business, I need a company that will work with me and support my web work.

I would not put my trust and faith in anyone other than openmind and the first name service really makes a difference.

Everytime I phone, they know it is the 'annoying guy from scotland' on the phone, yet they always answer my questions and solve my problems very quickly and always to my satisfaction.

Stu