PDA

View Full Version : student discount schemes

richardwhulme
28-01-2003, 11:39 AM
Hi Everone,

I am looking for ideas for a web based business that has potential to expand to other countries and is also cheap, quick to set up so if any members have any ideas I would be grateful if they would post their ideas for me.

One of my ideas that I require feedback from the forum for is a student discount scheme - offering students discounts from local businesses through some sort of membership scheme.

Do any forum members have any knowledge of any schemes already in existance or any ideas of the best way to research such an idea or even if they want to be a partner in such an idea?

thanks in advance for your help

cheers

gary
28-01-2003, 11:47 AM
I seem to say this all the time but I'll say it again :)

A quick search on Google is usually a good place to start:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=student+discounts&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

Some student unions already have some kind of discount scheme in place with local shops, and student cards get you discounts at a number of places. What are you planning that's going to 1) encourage students to use the offers and 2) encourage businesses to offer the discounts?

HTH.

Gary

"Your Website" (http://www.managedweb.com) - New FREE Newsletter!

Managed Web
Website Maintenance Services
http://www.managedweb.com

Jon Harper
28-01-2003, 06:01 PM
Check out

www.snapfax.co.uk - one of the better discount organisations - gives out hard copy magnetic discount summary cards which students keep on their fridges etc.

and google, university websites etc.

In order for students to use them they will need to be good - there are a lot of offers and websites aimed at students - you need to be somewhat special to make an impact!

Good luck

Jon

lenie
29-01-2003, 12:28 PM
Hi Richard,

I'm currently setting up a web business aimed at students. I've been undertaking research on student focused websites for the last couple of months and all I can say is that there are loooooooooaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddddsss of student discount type sites around.

I reckon you'll find it very difficult to find a niche there.....the student market is a huge one though....so keep thinking of ideas because there must be loads of potential business opportunities out there?

Are you a student yourself??....if you are, just do a bit of opinion research amongst mates and see if they can come up with any ideas that you could put into practice?

Laura x

rayne
29-01-2003, 04:06 PM
There are loads of local student discount schemes of this sort going on - I was in Leeds and there were lots running, most of which involved paying an annual membership to get a card which supposedly gave discounts at shops, clubs and bars etc. They were generally viewed with loads of suspicion by students and several schemes soon vanished, with many of the bars listed as being in the scheme refusing to give the discounts and denying all knowledge. This has led to lots of students viewing these schemes as a waste of money and a rip off.

There are a couple of larger schemes who would be the main competition - snapfax is one, also virgin student which is probably the biggest behind the NUS card itself.

You would have to spend lots of time and money building a trusted brand in order to make this work, also you would have to convince students that it is actually worth getting into this kind of scheme, which personally I think you'd be hard pushed to do as the NUS card discounts are so much more well known, trusted and reliable, and lots of local shops/services offer student discount with an NUS card simply to drive business, without being affiliated with any scheme.