PDA

View Full Version : property web sites

richardwhulme
28-01-2003, 09:36 AM
Hi,

Do any forum members have any experience in starting a property to let / for sale web site - where you would be basically getting all estate agents in area to place all of their property on your site to make a one stop property web site?

what do you think ? is this a possible business? what are the potential downsides to this idea?

all comments welcome

cheers

KevinL
28-01-2003, 09:40 AM
Don't have any experience but there are already many, many websites out there already offering that so you may have missed the boat.
However, I don't know if these websites cover all areas so wherever you are it may be something new to them and could prove successful if you could somehow prove/demonstrate that your site would get more hits than the existing ones.

mattstreet
28-01-2003, 09:49 AM
Hi Richard

I know someone who set their own Property website, its at:-
Property Showroom (http://www.propertyshowroom.co.uk)

It is aimed at the Estate Agent and also the Private Seller, where they can place an advert on the website for 29 until it is sold, there is also a section on there for rented property as well. At the moment, he is getting people signing up for the Private seller section as there has been a lot of press coverage on that over the last couple of months, especially with the savings on Estate Agents fees which can work out to be in their thousands.
Its just the case of advertising, and getting the visitors in from the search engines which I think will be difficult as there are so many.

I think he is in the same boat as you, there are a lot of Property websites coming onto the Internet who claim to be the best at advertising your Property, and people have to be convinced that you are the best one to advertise on.
If you are going to charge Estate Agents to add their properties as well, will it be worth their while in the long run, could you get extra business for them?
Don't forget that most estate agents have their own website already and already have their properties listed on websites such as Rightmove, Asserta Home etc., could you compete with the bigger websites?

Maybe do some Market Research, contact a few Estate agents in your local area and see what their response is?

I don't mean to give you all the disadvantages of running this type of business, but if you were to plan things rights, know what you are doing etc, then I feel that it definately could be worth your while.

Thanks
Matt Street
2cSouthend (http://www.2cSouthend.co.uk)
UK Mobiles (http://www.uk-mobiles.biz)
UK Ringtones (http://www.uk-ringtones.biz)

richardwhulme
28-01-2003, 09:55 AM
thanks matt,

I am just trying out a few ideas at the moment and this is just one that i needed another point of view on.

cheers

VLAHAKISA
28-01-2003, 12:52 PM
There are lots of websites offering that but no many of them are very good and don' t offer full nationwide coverage, the only good ones out there are:

www.asserta.co.uk
www.homes-on-line.com
www.localmove.co.uk
www.rightmove.co.uk

I would say fish4.co.uk also because on the surface it looks an excellent site, but if you actually check their database it is always inaccurate and full of houses no longer for sale, or never up for sale.

Not all of these have full coverage, for instance localmove is just for my own local area.

Tommy
28-01-2003, 02:04 PM
I found www.findaproperty.co.uk invaluable when I was moving, the only problem I had with it was some of the estate agents didnt keep their details fully up to date, and very very few of them ever replies to emails, you had to call them to hear back from them.
However, it's search is excellent, obviously one of the priorities for any property site. The fact they also let you search for specific types of property - waterfront, loft/warehouse etc was also great (I was after a warehouse conversion in london and it got me just what i wanted).
Setting up a site as large and complex like this could be quite complicated, they've obviously put a lot of thought and work into how it all does what it does. Estate agents get their own applications which wich they can upload pics and descriptions and somehow they've got thousands of agents all across the country signed up. I guess they don't charge much for advertisign properties.

Just the opinion from a user!

lenie
29-01-2003, 11:37 AM
Richard,

Going on what Tommy said, perhaps rather than covering the whole country it would be better to focus on a niche area.....

ie. I haven't heard of any property websites, focused solely on penthouse flats or warehouse conversions or country cottages etc....perhaps if you picked one type of property and advertised your site as the ultimate resource for warehouse conversions etc......that may be successful....you may also be able to attract advertising from furniture companies etc who target the type of people who buy these type of properties...

Laura

kris_leeds
05-03-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by richardwhulme
Hi,

Do any forum members have any experience in starting a property to let / for sale web site - where you would be basically getting all estate agents in area to place all of their property on your site to make a one stop property web site?

what do you think ? is this a possible business? what are the potential downsides to this idea?

all comments welcome

cheers
It's a good idea, but as others have said, there are many similar websites to this, but if you think you can offer something that others can't, then you should go for it - you could also offer 3d viewing of houses if you did just select a small area to concentrate on - we do 3d design as im sure many other designers do, get in touch if there's anything we can help out with,