PDA

View Full Version : ebay shop (bricks and mortar)

leewoods0
05-08-2005, 07:35 PM
i want to open a shop in my town centre that sells peoples items for them on ebay and sends the items off for them as well, i think this would be a good idea for people who are computer illetirate and for people who don't have access to the internet, i was wondering what peoples views and opinions are on my idea.

i could divresify by offering internet access (where they can check their emails, and how their items are selling) i could also have a help section where questions about ebay can be answered!

Adam
05-08-2005, 07:58 PM
I like the idea.

Like cash converters and the like or a pawn shop. People drop the stuff off and get I guess 50% of whatever you can sell it for?

I say 50% as you have shops costs and staff etc.

Can customers walk in and make a bid in the auction? If they offer more than on eBay can remove the item for sale?

SaverSoftware
05-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Hi,

Have you looked at contact ebay.co.uk about this they run a program called trading assitant which could help you test in water before getting into heavy rents on town centre buildings.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/tradingassistants/becoming-trading-assistant.html

Hope it helps :)

Regards

Gareth

kinster
05-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Hi

It's already been done, it's called an eBay 'drop-in' centre.

Here's one of them

http://cgi3.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=auctionassist-drop-off-shops

There's also quite a famous one. I will post it when I remember their name.

Regards

leewoods0
06-08-2005, 09:30 AM
the drop-in that kinster refers to is different to my idea as mine is more of a whole service, where people can bring their items in, we post it off, people can use the free internet service to bid on people's items or check their own and of course its in a actual shop, so the interest will be (hopefully) greater.

Will their be any problems with using the "ebay" name? because of copyright reasons, would i have to ask for permission to use it in my name.

Thanks for your comments!

leewoods0
06-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Can customers walk in and make a bid in the auction? If they offer more than on eBay can remove the item for sale? [/B]

Yes that is what im looking at, making "ebay" accessible to all, and because thay can touch the item we have more chance of a sale!

natasha
06-08-2005, 03:46 PM
yeah i've seen this on tv before there was a shop cant remember where but they done exactly this, i think its a good idea.

leewoods0
06-08-2005, 05:44 PM
does that mean i can't continue with this project? there are no shops of this kind in my area, Yorkshire.

Phil
06-08-2005, 06:56 PM
of course it doesn't. I think it'd be a great service/shop if it was situated in a busy urban area. you could also run it as an ebay training centre were you could maybe teach evening classes in how to operate ebay.

I was intending on doing something like this with NetInspired, and am infact registered as a trading assistant on eBay. But I'm carrying out other projects before hand.

natasha
06-08-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by leewoods0
does that mean i can't continue with this project? there are no shops of this kind in my area, Yorkshire.

Yeah still go a head with it, just make sure there is a market for this type of service in your area and do some research.
Find out who your potential customers are.

bedazzle
06-08-2005, 10:02 PM
There's a shop in Southampton that does this, it's called "Sell things on"

Here's their site www.sellthingson.com

I think it's a cracking idea

leewoods0
07-08-2005, 01:10 PM
thanks bedazzle, that will help in the research side of it!

kinster
08-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by leewoods0
the drop-in that kinster refers to is different to my idea as mine is more of a whole service, where people can bring their items in, we post it off, people can use the free internet service to bid on people's items or check their own and of course its in a actual shop, so the interest will be (hopefully) greater.

Will their be any problems with using the "ebay" name? because of copyright reasons, would i have to ask for permission to use it in my name.

Thanks for your comments!

Hi,

What I mentioned is just one of them. I know that there are a few that have a bricks and mortar store. People bring items in, they value it take pictures, write the description and eBay it for them.

I will post find out more of these stores for you to aid your research. Here's a biggy from the US http://www.auctiondrop.com/index.aspx in conjuction with UPS

Good luck

jklondon
08-08-2005, 12:08 PM
its an interesting idea and once I have already seen in operation near west hampstead - however its more suitable as an extension to an exiting business e.g. newsagents..

Martin
08-08-2005, 12:29 PM
I have reservations about this working...

The idea works but will your catchment area support your overhead costs of operating from a "Bricks & Mortor" store.

As jklondon already mentioned as an extension to an existing store you already are covering Operating Costs and I can see this being a valued addition.

I'm pretty certain you won't be able to use the eBay name in any way that makes you look offically associated with eBay.

Anyways you'll have to alot of research to make sure your numbers add up...

Martin

Adam
08-08-2005, 01:46 PM
If you could add value somehow could you run it like a franchise selling to existing shops?

A bit like post offices in convenience stores.

jklondon
08-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Yep I would suggest the following business model (very rough sketch):

- Pick up goods from designated stations[1]
- Attempt to Market and Sell these goods to through various intermediaries[2]
- Create a price plan with various options, each composing of a fixed cost fc plus a variable cost vc. There is plenty of scope to be creative on this side e.g. refunding the fc on high value items that sell.

[1] Designated stations would be existing well located shops that could handle collecting goods (of a certain category). You would have to sell this proposition to them as a) being a way to get people through the door hence chance for them to cross-sell and b) they will collect a % of the revenue you make.

[2] Ebay, even others?

Kieron1
09-08-2005, 08:45 PM
There are a few places doing this half heartedly in the UK already. And in the US there are literally hundreds. However, he biggest and most successful by far with over 500 outlets is http://www.i-soldit.com

Cheers!

b2b_market
10-08-2005, 05:18 PM
If anyone is serious about this concept and has something to offer ideally strong retail management experience or access to finance then drop me a line. I have spent some time on a high-level business plan and have already had discussion with some of the US players on opportunities in the UK.

defuzz
10-08-2005, 06:30 PM
theres a place here who does that

www.theauctionservice.co.uk

b2b_market
10-08-2005, 06:32 PM
to be clear I am not talking about a single one-off shop or an extension to a shop but a business model that extends itself to franchising.

leewoods0
10-08-2005, 06:54 PM
thanks for hijacking my thread b2b_market!

Adam
10-08-2005, 09:52 PM
b2b, have you considered speaking to Lee about this as he is looking in to setting it up and so many people would not be happy to come to you and steal the guys idea.

For all we know you could have just knocked up this plan after reading his thread.

jklondon
10-08-2005, 11:08 PM
err..to be fair its not exactly a revolutionairy idea in the first place regardless of when b2b came up with it! Perhaps he/she should have started up their own thread though.

BBWdressseller
15-08-2005, 09:59 AM
I'd suggest test marketing your plan with friends and family first, before going down the bricks and mortar route.

Why?

Well you can iron out the problems without it affecting your ebay reputation too much.

You can see if your idea is a goer.

You will not spend too much money, if it flops.

You can furnish your business plan with real life facts and figures (anecdotes from customers) to make your plan rock solid and secure any finance you may require.

Just our experience, before we went into business with our idea, it allowed us to formulate a good customer service policy (1400+ transactions and 3 negatives during that time, so I'd like to think we were doing something right).

Ken
15-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Martin
I have reservations about this working...

The idea works but will your catchment area support your overhead costs of operating from a "Bricks & Mortor" store.

As jklondon already mentioned as an extension to an existing store you already are covering Operating Costs and I can see this being a valued addition.

I'm with Martin and JKLondon on this.Plus,commercial rents are at a historical high,whichever way you look at it.
Also,I wonder,are the type of people who are not IT literate or have access to the internet ,the type of people who are likely to have much worth $$$ (and by extension ,your % of that comm) ?

Widgey
15-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Hi all:

Personally I can see this being a bit of a problem.

In a time where near enough every house hold in the country has a PC with internet access, would it really make the profit that you would need to keep a shop ticking over?

I think it would have been a brilliant idea a few years back, but the idea of someone taking a portion of my winnings, when I can quite easily go online, either at home or the library if I didn't have access at home, is a bit of a tricky one.

However, with a bit of a re-think you may be able to get people to think that it's easier to come to you, than go online themselves and do it.

Please take this as constructive criticism and not just a negative comment. I am willing to discuss with you a few ways that you can market this to your advantage. I am not looking for any type of payment, just a fellow forum member giving advice.

You can email me at

AquariusSupport@blueyonder.co.uk

and if you leave a landline telephone number, I will call you back.

Kindest Regards

PM

BBWdressseller
17-08-2005, 12:40 AM
Like everything else you will always have people doubting whether your idea is a goer or not.

Personally I wouldn't try and put you off actually trying out your business idea, I would however try and get some feedback from actually doing your new business without the threat of hefty financial overheads.

i.e. if you can't convince your friends and family to try you out, giving you constructive feedback, it might be just as difficult (if not more so) with real customers. Its a sort of try before you buy concept, certainly helped us decide where to focus our attention.

As for the people having a PC in every home arguement stopping your idea having legitimacy, I'd say thats not really your market, its cash (gadget) rich, time poor people you need to target, who don't have the time or inclination to do everything required to sell their items.

Good luck and keep us posted of your progress.

tas
19-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Hi,

I am new to this board, I found it through our website stat counter as defuzz mentioned our business, so thank you firstly to defuzz your a star.

I am a little unsure as to exactly what this conversation is about but assume someone is looking for advice on starting an eBay consignment business utilising Shell stations in the UK as drop off points, am I correct?

We run a bricks and mortar store and are more than happy to give advice, its not as easily as it sounds and you have to keep overheads to a minimum as there is only a small margin as the majority of goods provided are low value.

Michael
The Auction Service Ltd