PDA

View Full Version : Whats my website like?

SophL
22-01-2003, 09:27 AM
Hi all!

I have just started an online party shop and we specialize in Balloon in the box deliveries.

I know that the site has a few things that need to be changed but I'd like some opinions from people besides friends that just tell me what I want to hear. I'd be so grateful if you would have a look and tell me what you think!

Its www.thepartystop.co.uk

Thanks!
Soph

DZSolutions
22-01-2003, 10:01 AM
Hi.

The site looks nice, its fast loading .

I am not too sure on the colour sheme however, its a little glarey.

Also I think your font size on your menus could do with being a touch larger. Maybe even put them in a drop down list at the very top along with your side menu.

What about a search option ?

But all in all its a nice and clear design and its quick.

Well Done

Kindest Regards

natalie
22-01-2003, 10:10 AM
Hi Soph,

I agree with the above. Not a bad site and easy to navigate. I would tone the colour down slightly and enlarge the font also, but otherwise, simple and easy to use.

Good luck

Natalie Brown
NLB Travel
www.nlbtravel.co.uk

Electron
22-01-2003, 10:45 AM
Hi Soph!

I like the website design, very easy to navigate, instead of using Times Roman for the text why not use "Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" as the font face.

Buttons on the left hand side could use a shadow effect perhaps?

I can't really fault it Sophie it's good you should be proud of yourself :o)

LOL, I might take this opportunity to get advice on my website, if anyone would like to offer some good advice and opinions that would be most appreciated, http://www.pompeynet.com

Thanks!

DZSolutions
22-01-2003, 11:19 AM
Electron

Your site is nice although may be a little on the dark side (no star wars pun intended).

It looks like you have a good frame work in place, you could offer vistors the chance to customize the colour to there own suiting.

Just a thought.

But the framework does look good again nice clean and fast.

Kindest Regards

Electron
22-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the good advice, I agree that it does look a little on the dark side :oP and yes a customizable feature for the users to change the colour etc... would make a nice change. Thanks for the idea!

qw12as
22-01-2003, 12:22 PM
Sophie,

I like the concept and think the site is very good. However the one thing that is really missing is the fact that you have no meta tags on your site and as a result no-one knows you are out there, apart from word of mouth, brochures etc...

The need to register with search engines and get meta tags is often overlooked but get these done and I think you will have a great deal of traffic coming to your site very quickly.

Let me know if you want any advice on this.

Chris

Electron
22-01-2003, 12:39 PM
Chris, Sophie's website does have meta tags, there listed in the frame page, use view then source on your browser and you will see them,

although I would put them on the main page, not on the frame page, frames can cause problems for search engines, Sophie.

Sophie, it's always best to setup a Crawler Page that lists your links etc... which will help search engines to list your website.

Electron
22-01-2003, 12:45 PM
btw Sophie, the website looks good in Netscape 4.6, well done!

qw12as
23-01-2003, 12:42 PM
not wishing to have a bun fight, but the meta tag issue should be of key concern to Sophie as the search term "party stop" results in matches with a completely different shop. If I cannot find them easily and they are very few, no search engines will. The concept of having them on "feeder" urls is very much misaligned as search engines like inktomi and google etc, will delist certain sites if these are shown to provide no relevant information.

Listings is very important as the TV program on "No Going Back" last night demonstrated, the guy had his web site built but no hits!!!

Anyway, I guess we will agree to dis agree on this, but the offer is till there Sophie to help if we can :-)

Chris

Electron
23-01-2003, 02:48 PM
Hi!

lol, I was just letting you know Chris that Sophie has the right idea putting meta tags in her page, also I didn't say it wasn't of key concern I was trying to let her know that it is important to alot of search engines, but not all search engines use Meta Tags.

anyway, it's not a problem if her site isn't listed on the search engines there are other ways to advertise a website.

Dedsoldya
23-01-2003, 07:57 PM
ive chencked out your site and its not too bad, ive browsed through the prices and most are 13.50. Is that for one balloon or more?

SophL
23-01-2003, 10:53 PM
The 13.50 is just for the one balloon, but there is an option to add more. The balloon does come with personalised card, box, ribbons etc and it includes postage. We are also doing free chocolates at the momment too! We looked at a lot of web sites and took into account a lot of factors before deciding the price. We are still 50p cheaper then our main competitor.

SophL
23-01-2003, 10:57 PM
Thanks for everyones views. They have all been taken on board and alterations are being made.

With regards to the search engine issues, The Party Stop is not something that we expect people to search under. We have Wedding favours, Balloon deliverys andballoon in a box as our key words that do come up on search engines. As the web site is still new we are doing on going work on this issue. But thank you for all the feedback its been great!